From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 09:57:23 -0000
I agree with Josh Johnson that the height of the sides of a litter box seems
to make a big difference in how well they use it.  We experimented with one
box in a cage where only one of three ferrets was using the box.  The other
two went right next to it.  We used a high-sided dishpan, cut two of the
sides down to where they just keep the pellets in, and fastened the two high
sides to the cage corner.  Now they only use the paper if I don't get to
scooping their box first thing in the morning.  Very fastidious girls in
this cage.  I scoop twice a day, but that is not always enough for their
sensitive little feet.  I think they don't like to stand on used pellets.

There is an ad for custom litter boxes on p.  39 of Issue 8 of Modern
Ferret.  They give the South Florida Ferret Shelter as a reference, saying
they've used them for seven years.  The boxes have a high back that reaches
from corner to corner, with sides that angle down to a very low lip in the
front.  It looks like a ferrets' idea of the perfect box.  I think they
could even back into it, if you have a ferret that insists on having a clear
runway for making his approach.  The Custom Commode, For Ferrets Only,
305-378-8877.

Judith and the Fur Posse
(We're up to 11 now.  We had 2 when we joined the FML a year ago.
All 9 are adoptions and it's all your fault!)