From:
Konstantine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 1996 11:57:46 -0700
At 8:35 PM 6/1/96, Laura Ellis wrote:
>No offense, but I think you are being overly sensitive.  In some ways,
>people use the word "witch" as a euphemism for "bitch". Not that someone
>who practices witchcraft is a five letter word...

I would hope that people on the FML had respect for each other.  It seems to
me that most people who complain about PCness only complain about it when it
affects another group of people.  When they're in the minority and being
treated poorly, of course then the shoe is on the other foot.  Most people
on this list don't seem to have a problem telling others when they're coming
up with an uneducated comment about ferrets (like "Oh, they're just smelly
rodents!).  You'd probably correct them as well.  But then you'd just be
overly sensitive.  By the way, saying "No offense, but I think your being
overly sensitive" is not much different (and about as sensitive) as saying
"No offense, but I think you're an idiot".  Why is it that on the internet,
some people feel that respecting other is wrong.  I bet you wouldn't have
walked up to me in person and said that I was overly sensitive.  But knowing
that you'll never meet me makes it easy to say things that make me
uncomfortable.  I know that most people who use Witch in that context do not
use it as a slight against my religion.  Of course most of them aren't aware
that my religion exists.  Most would probably think I some kind of Satanist
(I'm not.  Really!!!).  I'm sure if somebody said "He's as tight as a Jew"
people would be all over that persons case.  At least I hope so.  And please
be aware that I'm probably not the only Witch around here.  So why don't we
agree to just respect each other for a change.  I won't make any derogatory
comments about your religion if you don't make any about mine.

At 2:00 AM 6/2/96, Bob Church <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Konstantine: I'm sure CDFA-1 didn't mean anything bad by using "witch." If
>you notice, the lowercase form of the word was used, not the capitalized
>form, which I interpret as meaning "hag-like, or an ugly old woman,"...

I know she didn't mean anything by it.  In this culture, Witchcraft is
barely a pip on the screen and most people don't think they're hurting
anyones feelings by making such a comment.  In this country of religious
freedom, I can't wear my pentacle to work because I may lose my job.  Just
wanted to let people know that there are many Pagans who are ferret owners
(or wannabe's)

At 2:00 AM 6/2/96, California Domestic Ferret Assoc <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>First off I most profoundly apologize for offending anyone with my 'witch'
>statement.  It was not my itent.  I usually would have used a 'b' word
>instead, but felt the post would have been pulled for profanity....

Thank you!  I didn't think you were intending to offend anyone and I didn't
expect a profound apology.  I just wanted to put it out there that there
were those of us who would be upset by those kind of comments.  I sure I'm
not the only Pagan on this list.

Sorry about taking up bandwith on this list, but it seemed to me something
needed to be said.  Now back to your regular progamming!

             Blessed Be,
                    Konstantine.