From:
Shannon Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 19:20:05 PDT
Hello all you ferret lovers.

I have to share my experience with all of you.  I have been dealing with
my 9 year old ferret being very sick lately, thinking it was old age and
not knowing what to do for my poor boy, because out of the blue he started
throwing up and having loose stool.  I took him to the vet with no
solutions, even after the antibotic, so I put him on A/D and that did work
but once I reintroduced soild food(various brands), it started all over
again.  Then one day I was visiting a local pet store and there was a pet
food nutritionist, and she reccommend I try a food called Nutrience.  Guess
what no more diaherra no more vomiting and I switched him right away no
slow introduction.  That is right Raz was allergic to wheat.  That simple.
Apparently many animals develop allergies to wheat, and it is really common
in ferrets.

So here I am to reccomend that everyone start there fuzzies on Nutrience
cat food, use the senior for older, kitten for young and adult for in
between.  It is made by Hagen, if you can not get it at the local pet store
try their website, Hagen.com.

Something else that was told to me that I did not realise is that Corn meal
and Corn gluten meal are the some of the worst things you can give your
pet, they are extremely hard to digest.  This food contains only ground
corn which is cooked then added to the food which is then cooked again, so
by the time you pet gets it is already mostly digested.

I had to share this with you because if you could have seen my ferret 2
weeks ago before I started him on the Nutrience you would swear it was not
even the same ferret.  He has put weight back on and is more energic than
ever.  I really thought I was going to loose him.  Now at least he will go
from old age, and not some mystery illness!!

I also have to say that this Nutrionist, took the time to study ferrets,
which really impressed me because around here ferrets are not a widely
popular pet.

Hope this helps, I know it sure saved my Razzy's life.

Shannon and the now very healthy Razzy.