From:
John Coder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 20:18:09 -0500
Hallo fellow ferret freaks!

Rocky Coder, here!  Figured I would give you that last leg of the Fredonia
Ferret Rescue!  Shoot, during this leg, WE needed rescue!

I chose to ride in the back with the little fuzzies, to make sure that they
were fed, watered, kept clean, etc!  We had not used this truck cap before!
Things were pretty cool!  We decided to drive straight through after hearing
weather reports of rain, and the idea of camping in the rain with 12 ferret
carriers did not seem like a good idea!  We stopped en route for a few
supplies, i.e. paper towels, funnels, bottled water, cleaning fluid, etc.
Now we were ready to "punch it" for home!

About that rain.... Well, let me tell you, it was just slightly
underestimated!  We could not have camped if we wanted to!  I mean to tell
ya', the skies split a seam!  It poured!  And what a time to find out the
truck cap leaked!  And badly!

I thought I had it made, at first.  Just a little water!  I spread open one
of the sleeping bags and snuggled in front of the cages.  Silly me!  When
John stopped to check on us, and for gasoline, I found the bag immersed in
water!  It had just begun to soak through to me!  And this was still a few
hundred miles from home!

I put that sleeping bag over the cages to protect them, but one was in bad
shape.  I took the little albino female from that cage and she went straight
into my coat sleeve, where she remained for the rest of the journey.  I sat
on the dry part of the truck bed, and rolled up a sleeping bag against the
back of it.  John, bless him, drove like a bat out of hell to get us home
quickly!  I, meanwhile, made a dam out of what sheets and towels we had with
us.  The dam kept getting forced closer.  When we made home, it was at my
toes!  And home never looked so good!

"Home" was achieved at 4:30am.  We spent an hour putting up the babies, and
10 were collected for Philly and parts north the next afternoon, to try to
beat a snowfall!  It would seem bad weather was the key for these fuzzies!!

I should also mention, in passing, that none of these fuzz kids were
descented!  I must have gotten poofed about 30 times on the way home, trying
to keep them fed and clean!!

Now, ask me if I would do it again?  Of course!!!

Much dooks and fuzzy love,
Roxane and John Coder and the "eight is enough"
Bullwinkle, Apollo, Persephone, Ashlar, Mona Mayfairet, Cleo, And
the Siamese cats (Teagan and Caligula)