Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 10:06:14 -0400
Just wanted to tell you ..  it might well be nothing to worry about.  If
ferret cardiac conditions are anything like human cardiac conditions, a
heart murmur (as in mitral valve prolapse) can be totally benign, and
often presents no symptoms.

I have a heart murmur myself (mitral valve prolapse), and it makes
practically no difference in my life.  I get symptoms from time to time ..
but that's usually because I take some asthma medications.  Without the
asthma medications, I'd probably have no symptoms whatsoever.

I've been examined by my regular doctor and cardiologists, and they all
assure me that the murmur (and mitral valve prolapse) are totally benign.
They don't shorten my lifespan in any way, they don't cause me to need me
to limit my activities, they don't make me tired or cause much pain, and
I almost never require medicine for them (only when I'm having bad asthma,
which is very seldom).  For long periods of time, I don't even remember
that I have the murmur, actually.

If your ferret is acting perfectly healthy and your vet isn't concerned, I
really doubt you have anything to be concerned about, either.  Just enjoy
him!  :->

- Ela

Ela Heyn
Harborside Mail Stop 3024