Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 00:21:26 -0500
Hi.  I don't know if I'm overreacting or not, but recently a new pet shop
opened up in the mall around here and they are carrying ferrets.  The
problem is that they are a rather small store, in competition with a large,
well-stocked place practically right next door.  The larger store constantly
has new batches of baby ferrets coming in who are totally sold off by the
end of a week, whereas this smaller store has had the same two ferrets for
about two- three months now, keeping them constantly in a smallish cage.
Every time I go in and visit them, I feel so sad for them, particularly
because they are males, half-grown and still with a habit of nipping, which
does not really make them as desirable as the tiny kits that come into the
other store on a constant basis.  I am left wondering if anyone will ever
buy these guys and give them a good home, and what will happen to them if no
one does.  I don't know how long this store can stay in business- I
certainly don't know about its sales, but most people don't seem to know it
exists, and, even if they do, they choose to patronize the larger store.
Certainly, I don't think people in the market for ferrets would think to
look for them there, and even if they did, would probably choose to just go
a block further to the other store and get a fresh, innocent-looking kit.

My question is this-- I am not in a situation where I can buy these guys and
give them a home, although goodness knows I'd like to, but what can I do for
them?  I worry about them a lot, and the girl at the counter doesn't seem to
have any insight into their possible fate if not bought, so I imagine
horrible things.  I don't know.  I am in Western Mass, in the
Amherst/Hadley/Northampton area, so if there are other ferret folks around
here who feel qualified to help me figure this out, please let me know.

I mean, what happens to these sweet little guys if they don't get sold?????

Thanks,
Eva