From:
Sheena Staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 01:19:33 -0700
numero uno:
is it just me or is anyone else having trouble getting to the fcs/chat
channel newly created?  When I try to open it, Netscape tells mt the url is
not found on that server.  My fuzzies were very dissapointed.

Diane:
sure you can get your dog to learn to interact postively with the ferret.
It'll just take some time, is all.  After all, your dog is just a puppy,
right?  You need to teach the dog some basic obedience first, and get him
perfecting a sit-stay or a down-stay, and then let the ferret check him out
while he is in position.  Correct him when he gets up or moves out of
position and praise him lots when he does well.  Our Basenji LOVES the
ferrets and dances all around while they attack her feet, but is always
careful not to step on them. (But her yodelling goes up about 500 decibels)
My friend has a Lab and 10 ferrets and he has learned that he is not allowed
to chase the ferrets but must still obey in the midst of the excitement.
Not only will this help your dog-ferret relationship, but is a great
training exercise for your dog as well.  I don't suggest giving up the
ferret...after all, he lived there first.  Have patience and perseverance
and you will be successful.  German Shepherds are highly intelligent animals
and eager to please their owners.  When your dog gets a little older, he'll
calm down.  In the meantime, the dog-proofed room is a great idea, since the
ferret can escape the dog until it's trained.

I always thought a "funk of ferrets" was rather appropriate.  Not only are
they the grooviest animals I have ever seen, but a roomful of them can get
the nose working overtime on ocassion too.

Sheena and 6 funky ferrets, fumbling to frolic with fascinating form.
Ferrets & Friends Club & Rescue E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
"dedicated to the preservation of the domestic ferret as a
 household pet", a no-kill, not-for-profit ferret facility.
For more information about the FFCR try our homepage:
< http://www.geopages.com/Colosseum/1575 >