From:
Connie Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 14:40:57 EST
Just wanted to share and ask if this has ever happened to anyone before.
Butch had a reaction to his rabies vaccination this morning.  Fortunately I
wasn't all that far away but we had waiting in the office 20 - 30 minutes
before he showed any reaction.  He was moaning and whimpering in the
carrier and then begin throwing up.  The vet gave him a Benadryl injection
and a Prednisilone injection.  He didn't need the other shot the vet
thought he might need.  I'm supposed to give him 10 units of Benadryl
Elixir every 10 hours through Sunday night.  And I'm to call immediately if
he looks the least bit strange to me.  I'm giving him the Dye-Free Benadryl
that tastes like bubble gum.  They said he might have loose poopies through
tomorrow.  This all happened 3 hours ago and he seems fine.  He's eating
and wants to run around and play.  I can't keep him from playing and don't
want to stress him any further.

The rabies shot he got was manufactured by Rhone Merieux and the reaction
is being reported to the manufacturer.  The vet called her husband (also a
vet with exotics specialization) at home to tell him what happened and he
said that he hadn't had a reaction to rabies in a long long time and is
going to look into it.  And of course we will pre-medicate Butch in the
future before any vaccinations.

Just thought I should pass this along.  Hope everyone else had an
uneventful Saturday!

Connie, Butch and Maggie