From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 10:23:14 -0500
A year or two ago I asked several very knowledgeable vets about the studies
into ethoxyquin and was told that the amounts given were so incredibly high
in the studies they'd read that those levels by themselves could provide
hazards.  (Don't forget that there have even been some human deaths
reported from people who drank too much water -- not the standard high
amounts but very weirdly high amounts, just as the ethoxyquin studies they
had seen contained weirdly high amounts.) If a study isn't reasonably
realistic then it has its own flaws.  I recall there were some other
problems they mentioned in relation to the study designs of those they had
read but can't remember any longer what they are.  Should be in back issues
of the FML, I'd expect, since I tend to pass on interesting things learned.

Moral: Check the study designs or go from the opinions of those who are
familiar with such studies.  It's easy to be led astray by poor design if
you don't know how to spot when it exists.  (Might there be a problem with
such compounds?  Sure.  Is there definitely a problem with such compounds?
Well, that's an entirely different question and I don't have the background
to know; neither do most of the people here so I'd rather ask folks who DO
have enough background to know and combine THOSE EXPERT ASSESSMENTS --
preferably multiple -- with what I read.)

Meanwhile, don't forget: the reason preservatives are used is because the
diseases which can result when they are not present are much, much, much
(Did I mention ***MUCH***) more dangerous than the results with them.
Granted, there are some preservative alternatives now, but how many of
those have been well tested themselves?  RESULT?  You need to pay REAL
attention to expiration dates and storage information for foods.  Even a
growth which doesn't show up as overt GI tract disease (which can itself
be fatal or damaging) may show up in another way.  There are things which
cause liver damage, others which damage nerves -- even the brain, etc.
Don't forget that in France there once was a walled city which was just
closed up with locks on the outside of the gates when the grain for the
town's bread was molded and everyone in that city went insane.  Think of
it: an entire city insane from fungus on grain.  Yep, preservatives can be
very GOOD things -- a lot better than the alternative!

Sukie
(Dad and Blanche forgot to take his tests along to the vascular surgeon so
I expect to remain on pins and needles for a while -- his next appt is on
the 12th, so don't expect me to have a lot time or be very awake.  Reminder
to all FML members and their families: if you or one you love has signs of
a stroke get to the hospital immediately so that they can treat to reduce
the damage, and I hope your's are not as stubborn and secretive about such
things as Dad is.  BTW, this is true for ferrets, too.  We've had two who
got past strokes with anticoagulants and careful supportive care; the
things causing the strokes finally claimed them but they healed nicely from
the thrown clots with proper care and precautions.  Be extra, extra careful
with such individuals -- or any which might have circulatory problems -- to
avoid anything which can perturb the circulatory system such as chocolate,
caffeine laced drinks, true licorice, etc.  We don't provide these things,
anyway, but some others try them at times with healthy ferrets.  Not all
dangerous things have fancy names; and some are dangerous only for given
individuals or in certain amounts.  Nor are all dangers equal; those who
read the reports on pines and cedars know that cedar has some very strong
dangers whereas for pine shavings it's more of an individual thing.
Consider the risk NUMBERS -- like knowing that you're more likely to be a
fatal accident in a car than in plane -- and go from there -- or that women
are at more risk of dying from lung cancer (Don't smoke!) than from breast
cancer and much more likely to die of heart disease (Also, don't smoke,
etc.) than breast cancer.  Don't blow up a small risk to make it sound as
dangerous as a larger one, and don't forget logical precautions against
larger hazards.  That said, know that breast cancer is in my family and so
is lung cancer, so I don't smoke or hang around those who are smoking and I
do get those annual mammograms and biopsies as needed.  Use expert opinions
when making risk choices for yourself and your ferrets, PLEASE!  They have
the background you need to utilize to behave most logically and safely.
Look at all the rest of us as merely providing a direction for your
questions, not as having hard answers.)