From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 1996 22:17:26 -0800
To Georgia, I just wanted to say one thing about your post about
volunteering in places.  I think that is a wonderful idea and highly
recommend it to all who have the time and resources.  Unfortunatly, I am
unable to do much becuase I live to far away to be driving over there all
the time.  I have not yet been able to find something closer to do, but I am
thinking of maybe trying at my vet's office.  They have done so much for me.

What I am doing about the zoo is preparing a statement for the nursery staff
about what ferrets are REALLY like and will pass it on to all the staff I
see next time I am at the zoo.  I also intend on sitting in and seeing what
they say and putting that in the letter I send to the board.  As we are a
member of the zoo, I hope that carries a little bit of wieght.

Yeah, my letters may not get a notice, but if I keep sending them, maybe.
The thing with me is that I do not want to place my babies in harms way by
labling myself as a "ferret person" anywhere by anyone.  I still get nervous
at the vet.  So that is the major reason why I have not done it yet.

To Jim March, I think your flyer idea and starting with small towns is a
fantastic idea.  I have some friends near the more south end of CA and will
check and see if they know anybody they can convince.  I will let you know
and get some flyers from ya.  See if we cannot add the Palm Desert to that
list of renagades!

Terry's story about Dr Culver sounds so much like our vet.  Our girl who is
almost 6 is rather sick.  She is not eating on her own.  She would go up to
the food bowl, sniff around, like the food, and then go back to bed.  When
we took her in and she was less than one pound.  We talked about what could
be wrong, but with all the money we just shelled out on our last guy, we
have no money to have tests done.  So, we opted to do the best things we
could without tests just now.

Our doc gave her a shot of B12 to make her hungry.  Did not work, but he did
not charge us either.  I have been hand feeding her this soup mix of
ferretone, nutrical, hills h-d, karyo syrup and water.  I am happy to say
that she is gaining weight and the doc has called every morning to check up
on her.  She is even trying to eat on her own.

Now that she is gaining, we think she may have a bad tooth that needs to be
removed.  Has anyone had this done before?  It is so gross looking I can't
look at it.  It is also slanted so every time her mouth opens and closes,
her teeth grind.  So that is the first thing we are going to look at I
think.  Then move on to others tests if need be.

To Meltdown, I hope for her sake, and yours, that it is her heart that takes
her.  We all know you guys love her to death, just like she loves you.  I
can see it in my gilrs eyes now that she is doing better that she
appreciates all we have done.  I know Meltdown feels the same.  It is our
prayer that she goes peacefully when her time comes.  Until then, may you
all enjoy every minute of togetherness.

Oh, and one more thing.  I thought I would throw all of this out here for
you.  I am thinking of putting together a non-proffit corp to benefit the
ferret issue here in CA.  I wanted to do some educating in schools and stuff
about how ferret are great animals and all that other truth, which is badly
needed around here.  What I would like from you all is your opinion,
especially those of you how are in CA.  What do you think?  Good, bad?
Better doing something else?

I know some people who have ferts and use them in this way (Yes, out in the
open!) so I am thinking of trying to get a special license to have them for
this purpose.  I am not sure if it will work, but I am sure gonna try!!

        Any thoughts are a blessing. Thanks all.

-MsPea (Still missing Elwood. Hope that Rainbow is lovely to him.)

        This space dedicated in loving memory of Elwood.

        Born to play, always ready with love and kisses.

        My dearest friend, you will be missed.