From:
Erin Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:54:03 -0600
Well, I just wanted to say, I'm successfully acquired my first adopted
ferret.  I'm soo proud!  hehe.  Aside from the extremely long drive
through the fields of Wisconsin, it was pretty fun.  I got to see a hawk at
least. ;)  Thanks to you all that helped and the FAA, if there is any place
I can send a donation to the FAA when I get my paycheck (it'll be small but
I will keep the address for when I get another job) please let me know.

She's fitting in great, for those of you who remember, I adopted Stitches.
She seems to only have a problem with Teddy Bear (my sable who just had her
hammock removed from her stomach in a 3 hour surgery!).  They play together
for awhile then get into these whirling fights and fly through the house.
Usually they stop if I come and separate them.  I have had them lick
ferretone off each other's belly right after a fight and then they leave
each other alone.  I don't want to be mean to Stitches because she's just
learning the house.  So I usually just pick them up, tell them "NO!" and
hold them together, pet them, give them ferretone and then put them back in
their respective cages for a nap before they come back out to try it again.

Anyways, I was thinking about that ferret-proofing the back yard.  That
would be soo nice.  Unfortunately I think it's a near impossibility with my
yard.  We have part of our drive way come to the back yard which is then
closed off by one of those big fences.  But we seem to have a few holes
that can go into our neighbors yard (one of which I caught bee-bee gunning
a momma squirrel with her baby!!!) so that would be bad, plus we have a
small pond and LOTS and LOTS of flower beds.  Probably 8 in the backyard
alone, not to mention the front yard.  I read once, awhile back, someone
had made a "run" for theirs, might have been in a book.  They dug down
about a foot, filled the hole halfway with cement, stuck up wiring that was
1x1, made sure the top was covered and there were places with shade, then
covered the top of cement with dirt just like a regular yard so they would
still have fun, but be enclosed.  I had thought about doing that.  (oh
yeah, I got a hottub they like to play near too, that's a bad thing!)  So
right now we've just been taking them out oon really long leashes, we put
a stake in the ground and attach it to that.  Of course we have to un-wind
them every 5 minutes but they love to dig and dig and dig then surf in the
dirt so they get black faces.  hehe.  But I was wondering if you think that
the "run" would be sufficient if I put it say, along a fence make it darned
near the whole length and put some tubes and things in there?