From:
Bill Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 1995 21:22:19 -0500
What a country !!!!

A whole bunch of us including Geri Collins who worked so hard on the bill
for many previous years, got fresh haircuts, put on our Sunday best and went
to the signing ceremony today.  We had a truly wonderful time and Gov Weld
couldn't have been nicer ....  We were waiting in the entrance way to his
office when he came in and remarked that these must all be ferret people due
to how nice they seemed and all.

He went into his true office, and we were ushered into the 'show office'
which has a fireplace, lots of tv lights, a desk for him to sign documents,
and a podium for him to talk about them.  Shortly afterward he came busting
in wearing a T shirt with the lettering "Have you seen these outlaws?" It
was adorned with two of the cutest ferrets with little stubby arms who can't
reach their six shooters standing on top of additional lettering that said
"Crimes:Unknown".  Really stole the show.  Thanks California and especially
Jennifer from the 'Ferret Stash'

Then he launched into his speech.  This is what he said (he left his text on
the podium):

"As of today, Massachusetts is no longer one of the last three hold outs in
the country immune to the discrete charm of the domestic ferret."

'For sixty years, Massachusetts has treated these creatures as if they were
outlaws on a level with Billy the kid.  Ferrets may wear masks that make
them LOOK like bandits, but the consensus is that they're usually law
abiding, litter-box-using types."

"Still, the state not only made it illegal for people to harbor them -- we
even threatened to yank vets' licenses if they so much as gave a ferret a
rabies shot.  A typical big government move: endangering public health in
the process of protecting it.  The ferrets were still with us -- by some
counts, there are 20,000 such fugitives in the state -- only our meddling
left them vulnerable to rabies."

"The bill that I am about to sign addresses public health concerns more
intelligently.  It legalizes pet ferrets, but requires them to be inoculated
and spayed and neutered -- and requires breeders to be licensed."

"With this law, ferret owners will finally be able to step out of the
shadows.  For years, they have lived in fear that an officer of the law
would bang on the door late at night, grab the family ferret and arrest
them."

"Search and seizure may make sense if there's a crocodile in the tub, or a
cougar in the closet -- but a ferret on the barco-lounger ... well, that's
what domestic bliss is made of, and any government that interrupts such
benign happiness is going too far."

"And ferret owners who wanted to meet, celebrate, and show their pets were
forced to travel to Rhode Island and New Hampshire to exercise the simple
right of assembly."

"Ladies and gentlemen, Massachusetts is the birthplace of American
Democracy.  As long as public health and safety are not compromised, it's
our duty to allow ferret fanciers the greatest freedom possible.  This bill
accomplishes that end."

"Therefore, in the name of liberty and justice for all on four feet as well
as two, I'm delighted to sign this bill..."

He did sign it, [for the cameras this time] and then stayed around and told
everyone that he had a cat, a dog, a goldfish, a rabbit, a hamster, and a (I
think) a guinea pig in his home.  We agreed that a ferret might get along
with at least half of them.  We gave him lots of information including
Debora Jean's book and yet another ferret calendar.  Miss February was most
certainly his Favorite.

Thanks everyone, sure is a great time.