From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:36:31 -0400
It is admirable your daughter would want to adopt from a shelter, but there
are some obstacles here- let me explain.

Your daughter cannot adopt legally unless she is 18 years of age.  Like
any humane organization a ferrets shelter has adoption requirements.  A
responsible adopting party is one with income to provide food & general
care for the lifetime of the animal.  A minor child cannot do this -- for
a shelter to adopt to the child is NOT in the best interest of the animal.

In many shelters the children can co-adopt.  That means the adult ( you
in this case) is the actual adopting party and must fulfill all the
responsibilities of the contract.  The child signs as well usually as
caretaker-- HOWEVER should the child lose interest in the care of this
animal-- the burden of care would revert to you the actual owner of this
pet.  I hope this clarifies the adoption process and the reasons a minor
child cannot fulfill an adoption contract.

Best wishes
the folks at Ferret Wise
www.ferretwise.org