Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 01:40:10 -0600
Well, I believe that it was Dr. Williams who asked for folks to post about
their non-reactions.

The other day we did distemper vaccinations, Buddy, who reacted last year
(*6 hours* after the vaccination, after pre-treating with oral pediatric
Benadryl, a detailed investigation of him (for bites) and the house, etc
for *anything* else that could have caused it turned up nothing.  A
reaction this long afterwards is RARE, but it can happen.) reacted again
even after pretreating with injected, and much more swiftly.  Thankfully
we were watching for it and jumped on it right away and he pulled through
without a hitch.  We'll be considering other options next year.

For those of you wondering, we decided (my vet and I) that we would try
vaccinating Buddy again because of the long delay in the reaction (in the
event it *was* something else), and that the reaction was moderate and did
not progress swiftly in severity.  (It was actually a different vet who
delt with the reaction, my vet was an hour away, he was 2 houses down
(though it still took him 40 minutes to agree to do anything)).  There
are several dogs who roam the neighborhood, none of which I have any *clue*
as to what their vaccination history is.  I do take my ferrets places on
occasion.  Distemper is just too scarey to not vaccinate if possible.
Buddy's previous reaction warranted pre- treating.  This year's reaction
including the pretreat warrants something different done next year.

BUT and this is the important part -- two of the three had no problems,
have had no problems (one's 3-4, the other is a year).  Repeat...no
reactions to Fervac-D for two out of three this year.  They were not pre-
treated this year.

My vet is two hours away now, I'll be doing rabies vaccinations and
checking blood glucoses closer to home next month to start training in a
new vet (ferrets and knowledge about them isn't high on the list of things
that vets deal with around here...I'm feeling like one of my purposes in
life is to teach vets something new).

Sue