From:
Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1993 00:59:28 -0400
I have 3 requests from GEnie people to post things on the FML.
Request number one is old...I just never got around to it:
-------- Forward from GEnie #1 -------------
                  Fri Apr 16, 1993
DEFFBAM.MINN [R.S.Sellers]   at 04:44 EDT

Would someone who subscribes PLEASE pass the word over to the mailing list
that, contrary to what the permit application says, the is no law which
prohibits the keeping of Domestic Ferrets in New York City only an
interpretation of an administrative rule which is currently under legal
challenge.  Let's not keep passing around the same misinformation.  If
enough people repeat a lie others will begin to believe it is true.

This is coming from someone who is following the situation closely and knows.

Randy S. Sellers, Chairman Legislative & Legal Affairs Committee, American
Ferret Association.

-------- End Forward from GEnie #1 ----------

The second request has been discussed an the FML lately, but perhaps
this is a slightly different twist:
-------- Forward from GEnie #2 ----------
                  Sun May 02, 1993
P.GRANT6 [Pam/Pet Pals]      at 21:52 EDT

This message is for GEnie users and I would appreciate Bill putting this on
Internet for me.....

We are having a problem with Canadian kits here in Northern Virginia.
Actually, the kits are great, it is the process and the pet shop we are
griping about.  Any information on WHERE these Canadian kits are being bred
and how they are being shipped would be GREATLY appreciated:
     A pet shop in Alexandria, Virginia has been getting in Canadian kits for
some time now.  These kits are only 5 weeks old, and still have stitches in
them.  The pet shop tells customers that the kits are 6-8 weeks old, and that
the sutchers (sp?) are dissolvable.  Vets in the area have confirmed that they
are not and have to be removed.  My shelter has already taken in two 6-7 month
old females and I have had to remove the stitches myself! The "cat gut" is
blue - nothing like that being used by local vets.

My questions are these:     Is the breeder aware that his kits are being
altered at such an early age?   #2 - Are the kits being altered before
shipping or after coming into the States?     #3 - Is it legal to sell animals
to the public when they are fresh from surgery?

These kits are the most unusual colors - pandas, stripes, silvers, etc. The
problem is that they are not weaned and many new ferret owners do not properly
feed such young kits.  Also, they are being mislead into thinking that the
sutchers will dissolve by themselves, and several individuals have repeatedly
told the pet shop that they will not and have to be removed. I have always
condended that kits should not be taken away from their moms until they are 6-
8 weeks old for sale in pet shops.  But 5 weeks?  with the blood still dry on
their bellies from the spay operation?  I would very much appreciate any
information on the breeding and sale and transport of these kits , for the
sake of the ferret and the new owner.
   Please contact me by snail mail : Pam Grant, 7402 Joseph Court, Annandale,
VA 22003 or by phone in the evenings: 703-354-5073.
     Thank you.
-------- End Forward from GEnie #2 ----------

-------- Forward from GEnie #3 ----------
                  Thu May 06, 1993
P.GRANT6 [Pam/Pet Pals]      at 22:38 EDT

The following individuals/shelters need to renew their S.T.A.R.* memberships
if they want to receive the June/Summer 93 issue.

Amgela Espinet - Miami Ferret Club - FL Chere McCoy - FFIRC - FL Beau
Bannerman - MA Chip Gallo - Action Comm Research - MD Joel Johnson - DEFFBAM -
MN Gina Burkhard - NC Anne Buss - Your Ferrets Friend - NY Desiree Kehr -
Montgomery CO Ferret Rescue - PA Craig Hopkins - Houston Area Ferret Assoc. -
TX Dr. Jim Gaines - All Pets Vet Hospital - VA Karen Yaremkowych - Ferret
Foundlings - WI

Bill - could you post this on FML since several members are subscribers?

Thanks, Pam Grant, 7402 Joseph Ct, Annandale, VA 22003

-------- End Forward from GEnie #3 ----------