Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 02:22:53 +0000
Hi, everyone.
I brought two of my ferrets from New Mexico to Maryland to get treated
by Dr. Weiss.  He operated on Lucky Charm yesterday and did a partial
pancreatectomy for insulinoma and also operated on Chocolate Moose and
removed his left adrenal gland.  I was especially worried about Lucky Charm
because she has no adrenal glands (they've both been removed) and one of
her liver values was exceedingly high in addition to low glucose values,
low energy, and some wobbliness in her back legs.  I just didn't find a
vet where I live who seemed confident of being able to treat her.

Both ferrets are recovering nicely now.  Dr. Weiss is truly amazing.  When
I asked him how long it would take to do Lucky Charm's surgery, he said
about 20 minutes.  I don't think anyone out my way could have done it in
less than an hour and it probably would have taken closer to two hours.  I
was afraid she wouldn't survive anesthesia for that long.

I had taken Chocolate Moose to Colorado State University for an
adrenalectomy in March, but the vets there didn't believe he had adrenal
disease despite my accounts of previous hair loss and aggressive behavior
as well as a confirming adrenal panel from the University of Tennessee.
When they did the surgery, both of Moose's adrenals appeared normal and for
some reason, they didn't think it was necessary to remove the left adrenal
gland.  Yesterday, three and a half months later, Dr. Weiss reported that
Moose's left adrenal gland was four times the normal size, confirming his
experience (and the experience of Dr. Williams) that symptoms are the best
way of diagnosing adrenal disease.  But apparently not all vets are
convinced that even if both glands look normal, it's a good idea to take
the left one.

Both of my ferrets are sleeping peacefully this evening.  I know that
bringing them here to be treated by Dr. Weiss was their best chance for
recovery and prolonged health.  Along the way (about a 1,900-mile drive),
we visited the Great Smoky Mountains and the Antietam Civil War
battlefield.  How many ferrets can say they've been to the highest point
in Tennessee?

It's about time for me to go pester them with some duck soup (which means I
will hand-feed them some Totally Ferret food moistened and softened with
warm water -- when I did that this morning, they both started eating their
regular dry food on their own).  Zipper will be so amazed when his brother
and sister get better and all of a sudden, he will have two new playmates
with a lot of energy again!  I think he is going to be so excited he will
war dance for joy!

I will be hanging out here at the hotel in Frederick for at least a couple
more days.  So far, I have gotten to talk to Ronnie DiComo, Beth Comarow,
and Bill Gruber, who have all been very helpful.  It is wonderful to have
so many other ferret lovers on the FML.  If any FMLers are in the area and
would like to get together for lunch or dinner or something, please send me
an e-mail and let me know.

Ferrets rule!

Linda, Lucky Charm, Chocolate Moose, & Zipper