From:
Nancy Farlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 13:04:42 -0500
Misty wrote:
>I am wondering how I can get Skittles started on Tottaly Ferret?  I have
>fed her IAMS kitten since I brought her home a year and a half ago.

Misty,

I recently adopted a 2-yr-old ferret, Beuhler, who had been fed only Iams
kitten food his entire life.  Our other furballs are on Totally Ferret, so I
filled a separate dish with Iams for Beuhler.  He never touched it - he went
straight for the TF!  I didn't see any loose stools or any other ill effects
from the sudden switch.  He's a very healthy, active, and intelligent little
guy, but his fur is not as soft and fluffy as that of our other five
ferrets.  It will be interesting to see if his coat improves on his new
diet.  I hope your transition to TF goes as smoothly.

Actually, I should take a moment to say how lucky we were to have adopted
such a wonderful little guy as Beuhler.  I learned about him from a post on
this list.  His former mother, Laura Osborne, realized she no longer had as
much time to devote to him as he needed, and she reluctantly offered him for
adoption.  He had lived alone all his life (well, with her two cats, but no
other ferrets), but you'd never know it.  He took to our gang of five like
he knew exactly what he'd been missing all his life!  He runs and plays and
dooks with the best of them.  It took a few days (no more) for him to get
used to being ambushed and pounced on, but there was never any fighting or
dominance stuff.  I was really amazed; I expected the transition to take a
while.  He was terrified of our dog at first - I don't think he'd ever seen
a dog before.  It took him ONE DAY to get over that!  He's an extremely
intelligent animal, and very affectionate as well.  He's the best kisser of
our whole crew!  Laura obviously was a very good mother to Beuhler, he's
such a sweetheart, and we're lucky to have him!

Nancy