From:
Elisa Beth Stamm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 1995 18:11:25 -0500
Hello
I was reading the Chicago Tribune this morning(Sat.) and there was an
article about exotic pets in the suburbs.  Overall, the story was very
positive towards ferrets, especially one named Mousy.  I guess that Mousy
excaped from his house and the neighbor complained to the police.  To
make a long story short, Mousy's owner was able to convince the city of
Rolling Meadows (currently a FFZ) to allow ferrets, with a few rules:
have to have rabies shots, wear an id collar and cannot be outside unless
they are on a leash or in a carrier.
The loss of another FFZ is good for us, but there was one part of the
story that had me in tears(from laughter).  It said that there were such
strict rules about ferrets because they were afraid that too many would
be let loose(in the wild) and that they would kill off other animals that
live in the wild.
I give the writer of the article credit for his positive report on
ferrets, but obviously he didn't do his research quite as well as he
thought or he would have realized that ferrets won't kill other animals
because they would die themselves after a couple of days in the wild.
Lisa