From:
Janice Underwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 20:31:24 -0500
Hi there -
I didn't remember to write down the name of the person who wanted to know
about travelling with our pals...

However, I have taken my crew on several *lengthy* trips.  The most
complicated one was 7 ferrets over 2000 miles.  At the time I had a truck.
What I did was to set up their cages in the back of the truck the smae way
they are at home.  Rather than use water bottles, I used earthenware crocks,
but filled them partway with ice cubes rather than water.  When the ice
totally liquified I would pour it out and put new cubes in.

The scariest trip was 4 ferrets in the back of the truck and one dog in the
front.  It was September, and deadly hot and humid.  I would pull into every
rest area I passed, and either illegally take the ferrets into the restrooms
and run under cold water, or else make them go swimming in the ponds [going
through Nebraska].  I soaked towels in the ice water in the cooler and
wrapped hard plastic ice packs for coolers in towels.  I made a 4 day trip
in 2 days plus a few hours, only stopping to sleep for a few hours twice.
This was a different route than the above 2000 mile trip, but same
endpoints, NY and the Front Range in Colorado.

I swore I would never again take them with me in the summer!  Since then I
got a vehicle with AC, but I still worry about stopping for more than a few
minutes at a time.

Janice Underwood                             Silk CGC [greyhound]
Schenectady, NY                            Kayla [sable ferret]
e-mail: [log in to unmask]      'Anaka Hina [albino ferret]