From:
CHUCK PULLIAM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 1997 01:22:26 -0700
for fuzzies in pet stores.  I, too, have been quite upset regarding
conditions in our local pet store.  Here's what I did, and it has proven to
be quite effective!!

About 6 weeks ago I could no longer accept living conditions for the ferrets
in the local pet store.  First, I listed the conditions that were unhealthy
(kept in aquarium w/glass lid - no ventilation - PLUS the aquarium had a
light inside it, thus keeping the temperature at a steady 84-86 degrees in
daytime when light is on; inadequate food and water; no toys in cage; no
blankies to snuggle at night, etc.)  Now, I needed a bargaining tool.  I know
that the little guys are "sold" (rather than "adopted"), because I purchased
a ferret there in the past.  I was not supplied with any information AT ALL.
They rang up the "purchase" and out I went!  After some thought, I found I
could turn this around and use it as my bargaining tool.

To make a long story short, I made an appointment with the OWNER (not a
salesperson, as they have no decision-making power).  First, I typed up an
informational pamphlet of basic ferret "new owner" type information compiled
from various sources (I even put a blurb on the back "This information
provided to you by XYZ Pet Store, your local source for pets and supplies")
and provided him with plenty of copies.  Of course there were many care
items (Ferretone, etc., etc.) listed in the pamphlet that the new owner
could purchase from him.  Good for the fuzzies and good for his business!!
I asked if I could bring in clean baby blankies a couple of times a week, so
they would have a soft place to sleep.  This got his attention, because I
wasn't asking for anything, but I was offering something....Then and only
then did I show him my list of "concerns"......Believe it or not, within 10
days of our initial meeting, the babies had a WIRE front placed on their
display case, toys (!), and of course clean blankies from "home" every few
days which get delivered with hugs and kisses from their "foster mom".

I am crazy for fuzzies, but I'm not crazy enough to think I can change the
world.  It sure does feel good to think I made a little difference, though.
My meeting with the owner gave me some insight on what the negligence and
ignorance is all about.  He stated, "I am not really an animal lover; I AM A
MERCHANDISER.  My goal is to sell them, not "nursemaid" them!!  "

Keep in mind, also, that anytime you see really poor conditions (dirty cage,
no food/water, etc), you can always report it to the local Humane Society....
I didn't bother to tell the owner that day that I had already reported him
numerous times.  Reporting him wasn't working on a long-term basis, but
being part of the solution sure seems to be.

Jacquie Rodgers
Loki (age 3)& Morgan (age 1)