From:
Steve Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2001 23:00:54 -0400
>... What I don't understand is the lack of emotional support.  I don't
>understand the lack the community coming together on this.  I don't care
>if all you do is put a link on your page to an ADV page such as mine or
>Judy's.  I don't care if all you do is take the time and consideration to
>write someone with a ferret with ADV.  I don't care if at least you are
>extra careful with ferret exposure and proper sanitizing techniques.  At
>least it's something.  And if you've done anything... that's great.  It's
>a big step..  and a first step to more future steps.  Most of all... the
>babies of steps is to at least not turn your backs on those that are
>trying to do something.
>
>Wolfy

I do agree that it is important to encourage people who breed, adopt out,
or take in ferrets to test for ADV.  I don't think it should be mandatory
in order to show a ferret.  I think this is what people are upset about.

Here are my reasons: ADV tests can be false negative if tested too soon, so
even if a ferret is tested they may still have ADV from a recent infection,
and everyone would get a false sense of security in having the neg. test.

Some people may not want to have to retest their animals 4 times a year
(as Avecon suggests), and may resent having to test again at the show.

Some people do not believe ADV is a problem ( like those who didn't believe
in HIV).

Since we don't really know how ADV is contracted, it is hard to make the
testing mandatory.  Someone may have ferrets at home and bring the virus in
on them, and not even show and be "spreading it around"  ( I know this is
extremely unlikely, just making a point)

Here is what the medical community did with the HIV virus- declared that
everyone in the medical field use "universal precautions" - in other words,
treat every patient as potentially infected.  Use gloves, masks and eye
guards when indicated.  Good hand washing and cleaning.  Apply this to
shows and have the judging tables properly cleaned between ferrets, with a
good parvocide, and the proper amount of time needed to dry before seeing
another ferret.  Judges disinfect their hands between ferrets- Discourage
people playing with other ferrets, discourage the tube races- unless people
bring their own, discourage the group play areas.  I don't think you have
to ban anything, just educate people and let them decide.

If shows want to do some good for ADV research and reach the public, they
can push towards education of ADV before and during the shows.  Offer
optional ADV tests to those who attend the show.

Require all those selling or adopting ferrets at a show to have those
ferrets tested negative for ADV - and inform the new owners they should
test again in 3-4 months to be sure.

Patty