Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:04:58 EDT
My condolences to those whose feelings and sensibilities have been
injured by the pet sitting discrepancy.  Both parties feel offended.
Emotions have run high.  There is such pain involved internally.  I feel
for you all.

I want to thank Big for posting the situation and that aftermath
displaying the emotional involvement of others, and anger, and the
indignation..  I think of pet sitting when I am retired, as I love
animals so very much.  I need to see the problems that can arise from
it besides my own personal experiences.

A clear contract that is signed by both parties sounds very important.  I
would have a lawyer review it for all possible problems.  From watching
the judge shows-the person pet sitting would not pay for damages if he or
she was not perceived to be negligent.  For example-the pet sitter is
walking the ferret, and the leash the client brought broke, and the
ferret ran in the street.  The ferret is lost.  The pet sitter would
probably pay nothing, if I go by the judge shows on T.V.

Illness that occurs after the pet leaves, and/or is not reported for
months is something important to ask a lawyer about and include in the
contract.  I do not know how that would work.  It would depend on the
illness in part.  What about fleas or mites?  Who is to say they were not
already on your pet?  Who is to say your pet was not coming down with an
illness when you left on vacation?

What if you are pet sitting someones cats at your home and they get that
feline leukemia?  Not all cats are given the shots for that.  Mine do
because one is feral.  But my vet, otherwise, urges against them.
Protecting oneself while caring for a pet at your home sounds pretty
tricky.

Keeping the contract for years-or months?  How long after the animal is
returned can the person sue?  Keeping all E-mails printed out for years:
would they hold up in court?  I think so.  I have seen this involving
people who owe money.  The E-mail was regaurded as proof in certain cases
that the person did promise to pay.

Here in Illinois for several cats, and more than several ferrets-I pay
$25 per visit for the basic fee.  I need someone here twice a day when I
am out of town.  $5 is the charge for the pet sitter to pick up the key
or drop it off after she is sure I am home, and $5 per med given.  Med
for one ferret needed twice a day?  $10.

A pet taxi would be required for a long drive of 50 miles around here.  I
would certainly charge a good $35 extra for that if I was in business.
To rent a van is $,70 a mile plus $20 for use per day.  That is $55.  I
would at least charge the $.70 per mile to pick up a "pet." Wear and tear
on my car, gas, liability of having anothers beloved companion in my car?
Maybe a whole different contract page?

If I had an animal at my place, there would be extra for food and lodging
One of my vets here charges $45 a day for a dog.  I never asked what the
fee would be for all my guys.  No way I could afford it.

Very risky-pet sitting.  No one wants to pay you much.  But if there is a
problem, there is no way you are fairly monetarily compensated for your
time in dealing with the issue to the best of your abilities..  Just look
at what has arisen here--the time, emotions, concern, hurt reputations.
Ouch.  ouch.  ouch.

I am not retired yet, so I have some time to think about this.  Thank
you for letting me realize how easily things can go wrong with living
beings-animal and human-all interacting in the pet sitting business.  I
have learned from this experience not to go into pet sitting lightly if I
ever decide to do this when I retire.

I was just looking at this from my point of view-how I could do so much
better than the people I have hired.  I really did not stop to think of
ME being the pet sitter all the way through.

Lisette