From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 16:32:47 -0500
There are a lot of variables.  If one technique works better for a given
vet than another does then more power to the vet for doing what works
best for that vet, or that hospital, or that surgical technique, or...
What works best for another may well be different.  Even hand size
affects how much can be done at once.  Surgery is not one size fits all,
so if the vet has a good track record with something personally then
while it pays to know about variations not every variation will fit every
vet, every hospital, or every ferret so unless a vet has a poor track
record then remotely second-guessing doesn't work.  I've noticed that
vets tend to respect this but it's a hard thing sometimes for those of
us who aren't vets to learn, even when we know if for other things like
cooking or carpentry.

If a vet had a bad track record that would be another thing, but
apparently the vet has done a number of bilateral adrenal ops in a
certain way and lost none.  I have and have had vets who do a number in
other ways (both at once with florinef and pred afterward) and have lost
none.  Some people have had tricky R adrenals done with cyrosurgery while
we've had an outstanding surgical vet who is so deft with a scalpel that
his scalpel work is every bit as good if not better than most
cryosurgeries.

It's not like we are discussing a vet who has told a client that 1/3 of
the ferrets who have adrenal surgery die (which is something I heard from
someone a while back).  This is a surgeon whose work succeeds.  Honor
differences in such situations.  There is no reason for folks on either
side to be defensive, but there is reason to realize that each can be
right for different reasons, so learning from each other pays but during
that it pays to keep an open mind because there are multiple ways to
succeed in surgery.