From:
"B. Norton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 1994 12:01:10 -0500
Paul and Shellie:  Congratulations on your new baby Damia!  I hate it when
animals are neglected like that.  We have 2 cats that were abandoned and a dog
that was also abandoned and they were uncontrollable and dying for attention
when we got them.

I'm sure Damia will settle down as soon as she realizes that you really love
her.  A suggestion about her not liking to be held:  Every time you pick her up,
sleeping or otherwise, put a little drop of Linatone on your finger and let her
lick it off.  (Nash loves Linatone.)  Pretty soon, she  will associate being
picked up with a treat, something good!  After a while, you won't have to  do it
anymore; she'll just love you anyway.

>I have a 12 week old male neutered ferret who has owned me about a month
>now.  My concern is that he recently started "hacking", sometimes just an
>isolated hack, at other times several in a row which sound like he has
>something stuck in his throat.  It doesn't seem to happen at any particular
>time, ie., it can be while he's in his cage and not exerting himself, or
>while he's racing around with my other guy.  The only other thing of note is
>that he frequently lays down for a few seconds, then resumes activity, when
>he's running around with his cohort.  The other ferret doesn't do this, so
>that's why its something I noted.

Nash did that when he was first developing heart disease, hacking and running
out of energy while he was playing:  run run run, stop, lay down, all stretched
out like a torpedo.  If you've ever been out of shape, you know how you
sometimes have to stop and catch your breath?  Twelve weeks old, though, seems
kinda young for heart disease.  Maybe it's something congenital.  Or maybe he
just has a cold?  If he doesn't get over it, I'd tell my vet about it.  Good
Luck!

We had a very Merry Christmas here at the farm because Nash is still with us.
He's turned
into a morning ferret.  He gets up and waits on the bathroom rug while we're in
the
shower.  When we step out, he loves to lick our feet and toes dry.  After his
morning
medicine, he stays up and plays hard for about 2 hours.  He loves the cardboard
wrapping
paper tubes and he has a thing with plastic shopping bags--he likes to get in
them and play
hide and seek with us.  Then he sleeps all day.  We're taking lots of pictures
and videos,
and he seems to be really happy, so....

Till next time,
Jennifer, Brett, and Nash and
Maddi (girl cat), Addison (her brother), Shadow (momma cat who was abandoned),
Tramp (her son with no eyelids), and Friday (Border collie girl who was
abandoned)