From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 01:30:15 -0500
>From:    Kemper <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Albinism and blindness/blazes and deafness
>I read somewhere, whether it's the true statistic or not I can't say...70%
>of Blazes are deaf.  Personally I think the number is high, maybe it should
>be 70% of deaf ferrets happen to be blazes, that does seem correct to me.
>In my opinion Blazes/Panda's are a physcal mark of a genetic disorder.

It is a genetic flaw.  Lets keep in mind that the DEWs/pandas/blazes are
mutations - as are all colors except for sable.  Waardenburgs is very
genetic and DOMINANT!  Do a search for it on the internet and you will find
proof that it effects all animals - including humans.  The information I
have found basically says that any animal with white between it's ears can
be deaf, hard of hearing, or hearing - all will/can have the gene for
Waardenburgs and can/will pass it on.

See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/SCIENCE96/gene?PAX3 and
http://deafness.miningco.com/library/weekly/aa080398.htm for information on
humans and other info on the syndrome.  For information on animals with
Waardenburgs see
http://www3.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/htbin-post/Omim/dispmim?193500#ANIMAL MODEL
See http://anatomy.adam.com/mhc/top/001479.htm on albinism which also has
to do with Waardensburgs.

>We can look at other animals and see this connection...Boxers-10% of
>boxers with the white gene are deaf-also we see the higher the pigment
>level in the eye area and ear area the lower the risk of deafness.

This is Waardenburgs as I understand it.  It is said in the ferret
community - although I don't know how true - that DEWs/pandas/blazes with
ruby eyes have the gene for deafness and the ones with black eyes don't.
As far as what you are referring to in the boxers seems to me to be the
same with ferrets - DEWs tend to be deaf - silvers DEWs with more pigment
in coat color) seem to be more hearing than not.

>And in Lorraine Sheltons' article The Pigment Parade ,about Turkish Angora
>Cats she writes (...)In my opinion, kittens with blue eyes and sound
>hearing can not be selectively bred for with any degree of consistency.  If
>you are selectively breeding for the pigment parade to stop as early as
>possible to get those lovely blue eyes you can not avoid running into
>deafness at some point.  [...] Do not fall into the trap of believing that
>there is a deaf gene or a blue eyed gene with a simple mode of inheritance.
>Unfortunately, this is not the case.  [...] (anyone wanted the whole
>article can email me)

I agree that there isn't a deafness gene (blue eyes I am not sure of - I
know there is eye color genes in people).  But I think that deafness is
linked to certain genes.  Waardenburgs is clear proof of that.  In humans
physical signs are eyes set far apart, two different colored eyes, a streak
of white in the front of the hairline (by the forehead).  These people all
have the Waardenburgs gene.  As far as the cat article - please forward it
to me.  Sounds very insightful.

>Another interesting thought...the only feral group of ferrets living (that
>I'm aware of), is in New Zealand.  I find it interesting that though all
>colours of ferrets were let loose (intially to control rabbit population,
>well thats another story), they have all reverted to the sable coloured
>ferrets.  I find this interesting and I'm not going to speculate on that
>now, but it's food for thought.

Well, I will speculate on that!  Sable is a very dominant color - and
according to observation of Dr. Bruce Williams - the less genetic flaws.
In New Zealand there are also polecats (I believe) and they are able to
cross with ferrets - they have the right amount of genes and such.  What
color are polecats?  Sable.  Therefore after all of the crossing and
breeding of a healthy, dominant sable ferret & polecat - it seems logical
that the feral ferret would be sable.  Just as dingos look alike, feral
cats tend to be tabbies (right?), and feral dogs structurally look alike.
Time molds genes to help the animal.  The sable color is healthy and
camouflages well.

>It seems to me in all that I've read about, and its been alot, horses,
>dogs, cats and rabbits, it is not possible to breed two of these white
>animals without the issue of deafness ariseing.  Now I don't want to step
>on any toes here, but it seems to me if the experts of genetics can't do
>it, it doesn't seem likely that your average ferret breeder is going to
>come up with the answer either.  Again, my opinion, but I really don't see
>the cute little white stripe being all that important to be promoting a
>genetic defect.

Well, there aren't any answers.  But to all that breed ferrets - be
careful!  Deafness is not a positive trait.  It seems that a large amount
of DEWs, pandas & blazes are deaf.  This has been proven to be genetic -
and dominant - in Waardenburgs cases and a deaf jill can easily ignore her
screaming kits.  Also - many deaf ferrets are misunderstood and needs a
special family to have the time and patience to learn how to communicate
with it.  No ferret breeder will come up with an answer - but after seeing
the deafness in certain lines and it showing it is connected with certain
colors/patterns - why risk it?

Amy Flemming
Flemming Farms - Michigan, USA
Breeding for Quality Ferrets
American, Australian, German, and New Zealand bloodlines
Come see us at http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism"