From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:21:36 -0700
[2-part post combined.  BIG]

Today I want to share something with you....some good news I guess.

This past weekend my friends, Shawn and John went to Tucson, AZ (we are
about 60 miles from there) to go to PetsMart and buy a new cage.  While
we were down there we wanted to check out some of the pet places.  We
went to 3 of them.  Here is what I saw:

Animal Kingdom (Tucson Mall on Oracle Road) - When we walked in the first
thing that I saw were a lot of people working there.  They had merchandise
(stuffed animals and other novelty things) up at the front, then the small
animals, then dogs in the back.  The puppies in the back seemed to be
"happy" and they even had a small holding area in the room where they had
a little puppy that had a football and he was playing with the kids there.
We went to the ferrets and saw that there were two cages.  There were 3
ferrets in one and 4 in the other one.  Since they came in about two weeks
apart they didn't want to put the older ones with the new ones.  We asked
to hold one of them.  The first thing the employee did was ask us if we
knew anything about ferrets.  Shawn said "a little, but what can you tell
me about them" The employee told us A LOT about ferrets.  I was really
impressed.  He also recommended that we get the Ferrets for Dummies book.
Their price also included another vet visit once you purchase the ferret.
The ferrets are handled by the employees and get a lot of play time.
Their cage was square with wood shavings on the bottom.  They had a
litter box, food, water, and some toys to play with.  While holding the
ferrets you could tell that they were well taken care of and handled a
lot.

The next store was PetCo on Oracle Road.  I have to say, I was also
impressed with this store...though this one has a twist.... The new tanks
that PetCo is using is a little better.  They are larger and the window
starts lower.  There is also a couple vents at the bottom for airflow.
Though I wish they had a place that you could put levels on it and places
for them to sleep.  The tank was clean!  The ferrets (4 of them) were
friendly and didn't try to kill us to get out.  Their nails were a little
long but not bad.  The twist comes because the sales clerk there was
talking with a customer who wanted a ferret and they didn't know anything
about them.  He tried to answer some questions and wasn't too sure.  So,
they asked us....well, lets just say that they walked out of there with
the Ferrets for Dummies book, the best food, treats, hammock, carrier,
several other things and of course a wonderful ferret.  We gave her our
shelter card and told her to call if she had questions or problems.  We
explained the good and the bad about the ferrets.  She asked a lot of
questions and we were happy to help.  I held their ferret and checked him
out...then put him on the ground and you know what he did?  War Danced
and POOFED!  He was just real friendly and very cute.  After she left the
store clerk came back and asked for our card.  He also said that he would
read that book that we suggested.  He seemed very happy and also
interested.

The last store that we went to was another PetCo on Broadway and Craycroft
(Tucson, AZ).  Now, I have been in this store many times and have never
been happy with it.  Today was no different.  We got there about 30
minutes before they were closing.  After looking in on the ferrets in
the old tank, I asked to have someone open the cage.  There were about 6
ferrets in the tank.  Their was NO food, the bottom of the tank had a lot
of poop in it.  What they had done was just put more bedding on top of the
poop so they didn't have to clean the tank.  They ferrets were all just
laying there.  One little albino girl was curled up in a ball that they
had (only other thing in the tank beside "food" bowl and water bottles).
Finally someone came over to open the door after I went up and asked
again.  He opened it and then just stepped back.  I opened the door and
went to reach in when I got a HORRIBLE smell.  I held my breath while I
reached in to pull out the albino girl to check on her.  She was missing
fur on one of her shoulder blades.  I am assuming it was from
playing/fighting.  The area was about as big as my thumb nail.  She was
also a little thin but not too bad.  She seemed scared when I picked her
up and tried to bite me.  I put her down and she walked around a little.
I did this with several of the ferrets.  They were all very bitey and
were jumping to get out of the tank.  I asked the clerk that was "helping"
us if they clip their nails.  He said he didn't believe so but had NO
CLUE.  (I have asked this before of them and got several different
answers) Shawn went and got clippers from another clerk and I started
clipping nails.  Another employee came over and VERY rudely told me that
I had to stop what I was doing and that I wasn't allowed to do that.  She
never once said that she would ensure that their nails were clipped - she
left.  While we were standing there we asked the first clerk about their
food...he said that he was just about to do that when we came in (yeah
right...they were closing and having a meeting).  He filled one food bowl
and wet it down.  We asked him if he wanted the other bowl to fill and he
said they only fill one with food.  The other one they leave in there for
them to play with.  They shut the cage and the ferrets were all running
to eat the food.  I couldn't leave.  I couldn't stop thinking about that
little girl and all of the others.  I was mad.  Now, when I am mad I don't
talk nicely...Shawn knows this so he came back inside to "help".  I asked
one manager for the PetCo business card and then asked who I would need
to talk to in reference to the ferrets.  She introduced me to Mike Gavin,
Store Manager.  I explained that this was the worst of the stores that I
had seen today and was very upset with it.  We walked with him over to the
tank and explained everything.  He seemed generally concerned and annoyed
that the tank hadn't been cleaned as it should have been.  I pointed out
that the little white girl might not be eating enough and was being beaten
up by the others.  We talked for about 30 minutes.  In July we (the
shelter) will be teaching a class at the PetCo store.  In talking with
Mr. Gavin I did find out that he thought they were shipped at 12 weeks
(which I explained was most likely wrong) and that they don't get out of
that tank unless they are cleaning it.  No one really works with them
though they do have 2 people that have more ferret knowledge than the
others.  I explained that one time I was there an employee told a
customer that ferrets stink....it was a customer interested in the
ferrets too!  Anyways, I will let you all know what happens with this
class and hopefully with improvements at the store.  I am not close
enough to check on them every week but I will do it once a month.  I am
also going to start up a check list and do that for each store.

One thing that PetCo needs to change is their description on the ferret.
They list them as being night animals....maybe they could say
"adjustable".

Joanne Ruffner
Ferret Corner Shelter
www.geocities.com/ferretcorneraz