From:
Steve & Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 May 1995 15:09:46 EDT
FERAL PROOFS vs RUMORS, N.Z.
I have to ditto Debbie, Troy-Lynn, Pam, Bill, Carla, Kurt, Gale
(Setauket?  My dad's by the mill pond -- Lew Davis.  I grew up in Port
in the 50s and 60s, attended SUNY SB, rescued raccoons there in 70s.
If you speak with Dad or Blanche, step-mom, it help to know we're old
area lines so they won't go grumpy on you.) It's not that people are
being politically correct in disbelieving feral ferrets.  One list
member had a lost one survive 3 or 4 days lost in a country park once.
We're just 'show me' people, something which is to be expected on a
list with many folks who have advanced education in sciences.  (This
is probably where the confusion about Gary's DD came in.  Doctorates
aren't too unusual here, so they don't tend to be mentioned unless
they are directly subject matter related, as with vets.) We DO
understand that absence of proof is not proof of absence, but word of
mouth isn't proof.  Around here feral ferret calls are (rarely for the
first two) martins, fishers, mink, and weasels.  Skepticism tends to
be a useful self-discipline for many.

The New Zealand response also interests.  Years ago when we mentioned the
N.Z.  mustelids here an individual who claimed to be with your variant of
Fish and Game got on and said that the domestic lines hadn't fared well
so it was decided to introduce polecats, and that the survivors were
mixes or straight polecats.  If this is incorrect we want to know.

Basking Ridge, N.J. (908) -- Sukie, Steve & our sweet 6