From:
EL NONIO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 14:24:21 EST
Hi everyone!

I'm not sure we introduced ourselves properly, so here goes!

My name is Antonio.  I'm from Spain, and I'm a law student at Texas Tech,
Lubbock.  Recently, I got my first ferret, Fudge.  From a pet store, since
there doesn't seem to be any shelter in the area.  Fudge is a MF sable,
about 7 months old.  He had been returned to the pet store; I guess the
previous owners might have been disappointed that he is not at all like a
hamster??  Well, he is hyper most of the time..  Let's just say that
studying for finals with him around is virtually impossible...

We are soon to move to a new appartment, because our lease does not allow
for pets, although the landlord was cool and lets us get him before
Christmas; we told him we're moving anyway, so he thought "what's the harm"?
Actually, we got him before telling the landlord... we had decided not to
buy on impulse, so we were to get the suplies first, then wait until we
moved to a pet- friendly place.  Then we saw Fudge at the store a few
times...... and so much for the plan!

Anyway, I'm already considering adopting a little companion for Fudge, since
I just can't devote as much time to him as I wish I could (again, darn
finals...).  If anyone in my area knows of possible adoptees...

Here's what someone wrote yesterday:

>Suddenly he took an unusual interest in my shoes, and started licking &
>gnawing on them.  It went on so much that when I walked away from him he
>would follow my feet, and so appeared to be PERFECTLY leash-trained!!  (Of
>course, he 's not!)  I had to keep up the pace to keep him from getting
>stepped on, as he was running to catch me!

Well, Fudge did the same thing to me the other day.  I think I figured out
why: it had rained ever so lightly, so the grass was moist, and maybe it was
too chilly for him.  So when he got tired of digging around, he started to
go for my feet.  Then, I realized he was actually trying to climb on me, but
just couldn't.

One last though.  About this digging business.  I never heard of a dog
smell better after being outside and digging around; for that matter, I
can't say that Fuge smells any better after our walks in the park.... Maybe
the soil around your neighbourhoods is "superior" to the soil here in West
Texas??.... ;)

About the post which used the terms "backyard breeder"... To me, it seemed
that the writer was not asserting that the lady in question is positively
such a breeder, but rather that when you are dealing someone you do not
know, who lives pretty far away to find out who she is, well, you do have to
be careful before sending money away.  That some people on the list know her
(should I say claim to?) is very nice, but if you don't know these people
either, you're back to square one, right?  And while it appears that she
indeed needs help very much, you could see that less scrupulous scoundrels
may take advantage of the caring, generous FML readers..

As far as the past due bill, I actually have to agree with the post.  While
the economics of a shelter are not an area in which I'm knowledgeable, I
will say say that generally, a business that is insolvent (unable to meet
the demands of creditors on time) is unlikely to survive.  The question then
is, do we want to support such businesses, or do we want to do the right
thing without footing past mistakes/ unfortunate circumstances.  I'm not
saying which solution is tight for YOU, that's your choice.  Just know what
the choices are.  Supporting a business that is not managed properly to me
seems like a poor choice.  I'd rather be supporting a shelter that has a
chance than a breeder who's going down; but I will also send my modest
contribution for the survivors (ie, not for the pre- massacre debts).  While
it is a pity if/that some vets (not backed by facts, just by what I read on
the list) are not providing services untill the past due debts are paid,
they too are businesses that need to be paid on time in order to get by.

Again, none of us, not even those that seem to be closest to Jean seem to
have all the facts, so let's not jump to hasty conclusions either way, and
condemn someone for airing his concerns about this situation.  Also, I bet
I'll be getting some firm criticism.  That's fine.  But criticize me on the
basis of the ideas, the rational thoughts that my post inspired in you,
rather than on the basis of the emotions and the feelings you may feel for
the lost fuzzies and Jean's distress.  While we should listen to our hearts,
we should not do so with our eyes shut...

Antonio and Fudge