From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 00:15:45 -0400
Remember from 3 decades ago that the Monkees performed a perceptive Neil
Diamond song, "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You"?

Well, I can't get the chorus out of my head today and here is why.

In relation to adrenal disease formation the scenario goes like this:

Decreased complete darkness results in decreased melatonin production
from the pineal gland.

Decreased melatonin production (less melatonin circulating) results in
more LH and FSH production from the pituitary.

Now, if all goes right and if the ferret has reproductive tissue intact
the reproductive tissue at some point sends a "Quiet down." signal to the
pituitary.  (It appears that all doesn't always go right even with whole
ferrets, given how about half of whole unbred females go on to develop
marrow toxicity.)

Okay, so what about when the ferret has been neutered?  Well, the
adrenals (which also contain hormone generating tissue) can't tell the
pituitary to quiet down and keep being stimulated by it.

Now, here is where this becomes a little bit me, a little bit you for
several of us here:

The melatonin reduction (from too little darkness) plays a major role
setting things in motion BUT THIS IS NOT A DIRECT CAUSE OF THE TUMORS
BUT OF THEIR TRIGGER(S).

The pituitary plays a major role in the hormones it secretes BUT THERE
IS NOT PITUITARY DISEASE BECAUSE THIS IS NORMAL BEHAVIOR FOR THAT GLAND.

Neutering plays a major role by preventing feedback to stop the LH and
FSH over production BUT IT IS NOT JUST EARLY NEUTERING BECAUSE IT IS
NEUTERING AT ANY AGE.

What is important is the *combination*, and there may be other factors
which research will show to play roles as well.

Of course, ultimately what really made the difference is that there were
multiple excellent researchers who were able to pursue the concepts with
well designed and careful scientific studies.

Now a word: here we are with one of the most wonderful additions to
ferret veterinary knowledge that we could have and instead of publicly
rejoicing -- which we should all be doing -- there is some unpleasant
arguing once again (though luckily from only a few -- and I don't mean
the folks asking questions).  Can't people take a deep breath and for
change from a number of recent months just simply be justifiably happy
that something really, really, important and wonderful has really
happened?  What is so terrible about seeing a long term goal which can
help ferrets actually being achieved?  Let yourselves relax.  Something
good has happened.  Enjoy it.  We have all deserved a break from the
painful things and this should be one for us all because this is truly
marvelous knowledge.  Rejoice and celebrate.  Kiss a ferret.

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love
them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org