From:
ferret lover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 19:22:52 -0700
I don't know how y'all feel, but the two windows in my ferret room have
been a major worry to me!  I have read enough on this list to know that
they should be cause for concern!  The last thing any of us want is for our
ferts to escape out a window and even with a screen-they can still manage
to get out!  I have been even more concerned here lately with warm weather
upon us so I did something about it!  I took the two screens into our local
hardware exchange and told them my dilemna!  The guy was super nice-had
loads of questions about ferrets and then told me he'd see what he could
come up with!

Yesterday he called and I went to get my screens-boy...what a great job he
did!  Going from the bottom of the screen to about two thirds of the way
to the top, he attached a cover guard!  I doubled checked and this guard
is securely fastened on the outside of the screen.  Even if the ferrets
managed to chew through the screen-there is no way they will ever get this
guard off!!  The guard is metal with small diamond shaped holes in it to
allow pretty much normal airflow!  I am so pleased and I highly suggest
that if you're worried about your screens-check into having this done!
I thought it was VERY reasonable, too!  It was $9.99 apiece-about $22.00
with tax!  Well worth the price!  I realize this may not be suitable for
apartment dwellers-but if you are a homeowner and live in the boonies like
I do-it's well worth the price!  If mine got out-I wouldn't hold much of a
hope of ever getting them back-we have fox and coyote, and a ferret would
make a great snack for one of our big owls!!!  I've heard them get rabbits
so I can't believe a ferret would go unnoticed!  Could be wrong-but now I
won't worry so much!  If you would like more info-feel free to write!

=====
Judy Cooke
Tyson, Hope, and Einstein

"The world is made up for the most part of morons and natural tyrants, sure
of themselves, strong in their own opinions, never doubting anything."
Clarence Darrow