From:
Sherry Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 22:46:34 -0400
Tanya,
I'm sorry that you feel that small private breeders are being abusive, but
you are making assumptions that aren't fair.  The first assumption being
that if all hobby and small private breeders stopped, that there wouldn't
be any more ferrets in shelters.  But the truth of the matter is, there
will still be Marshall Farms, there will still be Path Valley, and other
commercial breeders.  And they will still be selling out of pets stores,
where no screening, education, or support for owners goes on.  Yet the
percentage of ferrets out there that are from these sources are by far much
larger than all private breeders put together.  Are you saying we should
abandon our breeding to leave only ferrets available that are neutered at
4/5 weeks of age, taken from their mothers way too young, shipped out to
all points across the world to be sold as an impulse purchase?  And I can
assure you that commercial breeders are not choosing their breeding stock
in thoughts of improving the species, as most private breeders of ferrets I
know.

I understand your concerns, coming from the standpoint of a dog or cat
enthusiast.  I've seen some of the horrors they've imposed on these animals
in the name of creating and conforming to breed standards.  But for myself
and most other ferret breeders and showers I've talked to, there is a
fundamental belief that we should never go that way.  The things we judge
for and breed for are based on things which are most healthy for the
ferrets as a whole.  Having these standards does not, however, equate to
dismissing and dumping the ferrets who aren't perfectly conformed to them.
You've apparently never witnessed the tears and joy of a ferret owner
whose handicapped or shelter ferret has taken a first place ribbon.

Your second unfair assumption is that breeders and showers are doing it all
for the showing and the 'perfect ferret'.  We try to produce a whole litter
of happy healthy kits.  I know I personally intend for all of my kits to
be pet quality, which means a healthy, well-tempered ferret that will make
a wonderful addition to a family.  If I get a kit that I think has all the
potential to pass on exceptional health and personality, I keep it, as a
personal pet and breeder.  I also show that animal, which gives me a good
report card on how well I chose my breeding line.  But, I also show my
altered ferrets, for the fun of it, and because I'm proud of how well I
take care of them, and maintain their health.  And as I wait, and talk to
other showing owners, I invaribly find people who are doing their first
show, wanting to know how to properly clean ears, how to clean their teeth,
and what do I do to get their fur so soft.  I get a chance to show them
these things, and tell them how much nutrition plays a part in their
appearance.  It all comes back to one thing...a love of the animal.

Will the commercial breeders ever give the ferrets so much?  I doubt it.

Sherry and her Merry Mob