From:
Barbara Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 09:59:20 -0400
I feel like I have to confess my utter stupidity ... my favorite ferret, my
Pepper who recently had his second adrenal removed, who has cancer, who
wasn't even eating regular food ... has managed to get out of the house.
Saturday night around 9:30 pm I noticed he was missing.  I've gone around
my neighborhood with the squeaker 3 times, my daughter and husband once
each.  We've searched the house 6 times, but I'm sure he went outside.  He
*lived* to run through that dog door :(

We've been remodeling the kitchen and my house is in utter chaos.  I thought
I had that doorway blocked well enough, but Pepper had been feeling better
lately and he apparently climbed to a cat shelf and just leapt over it. :(
I can't believe I was so stupid -- I could have shut the door.  But I
wanted the cats to be able to come and go and I guess I'd gotten complacent
since his surgery.  He hasn't been able to get over the gate into the rest
of the house.  I just assumed he'd never make it over this piece of wood
that was even higher.  Stupid.

This is killing me ... it rained last night and it got really cold.  I hope
he found someone to take him in.  I live in a very urban area ... hundreds
and hundreds of houses and apartments.  Lots of roads, too, but so far I
haven't seen any evidence he was killed.  I keep expecting to see him on my
back porch (where I've found him in the past).  He's always been a little
shit -- he's gotten out before but always I noticed within a half hour.
This time I think it was closer to an hour :( He'll go up to anyone.  He
probably followed someone home.  He's not getting his anti-cancer herbal
medicine, I don't know if or what he's eating, I feel like such a bad mom.

I live in Mt. Oliver, on the border of Pittsburgh. I've called police and
animal control, I already put up a bunch of flyers and put leaflets in each
and every mailbox in my local area.  Tonight, I'll expand the area.  Keep
Pepper in your thoughts and prayers.  I knew I would lose him soon, but I
thought I'd have a little time with him.  It's torture thinking he might be
with someone who doesn't know anything about ferrets.  :( I hope he's at
least having a good time rummaging through someone's house.

--Barb--