From:
Sara Munz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 14:04:36 -0800
Carrie posted:
>If specialty ferret food is not an option, what is the next best thing?
>I can get to a ferret store every once in a while, but sometimes, I have
>no choice but to get cat food.  I know this is not good for the little
>fuzzies, but what has worked for some of you?  I always have vitamins
>(furo-vite) on hand for them as well.
>
>Also, this is a question for all you fuzzy owners ....what food do you
>buy for your little sweethearts?>

Carrie: I'm not sure what you mean by a "ferret store", since both Petco
and Petsmart carry ferret food.  The best ferret food in my experience
is Totally Ferret, which is available at Petco.  Marshalls and 8-in-1
Ultimate (NOT Ultra) are also good foods, and they are available at both
Petco and PetSmart.  Totally Ferret is also available at some independent
pet stores.  And, if you can't find what you want locally, don't forget
THe Ferret Store (www.theferretstore.com) which carries EVERYTHING you
need for your ferret, has fantastic customer service, and offers free
shipping on orders over $25.

So remember that ferrets aren't cats.  My understanding is that they
can't digest corn and wheat gluten, which is usually one of the top five
ingredients in even high-quality cat foods.  It's also been my experience
that although the best foods are more expensive, it's cheaper in the long
run - your ferrets eat less, poop less, and are healthier.

Good luck finding ferret food!

Sara