Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 18:29:08 -0600
Hey all.  I went to Petco (BIG, you can delete the petshop name if
necessary) to buy a few ferret-related items today and they had a ferret
there.  They don't always carry ferrets and when they do, it's usually only
1 or 2, but this time the ferret had a sign on it that said "Not for Sale"
and a list of medicines they were giving the kit.  I asked them what was
wrong with it and although everyone there seemed to "know a lot about
ferrets," noone could tell me what was wrong with it or what it's symptoms
were.  I'm not slamming the employees, but nobody could tell me about the
kit.  Finally I talked to a manager who said that in the morning the breeder
was going to switch the kit out and take the sick one back for "treatment."
She said that the breeder wouldn't put the kit to sleep, but I'm not so
sure.  This is the same pet shop my roommate got Cosette from and we
couldn't get any straight answers from the breeder (she's Canadian) when we
got her.  I don't think there's anything I can do about this kit, but how
come the new trend of "socially aware" petshops won't sell dogs and cats,
but will sell ferrets?  It seems to be hypocritical.  Ferrets have the same
kind of needs (if not more!) as dogs and cats and they have a pretty
comparable life-span (compared to rodents and stuff).  I think they're a pet
to be taken seriously.  Petco in Austin allows Sharon, who runs the shelter
there, to have adoption days to meet prospective people to adopt her ferrets
and they don't sell kits.  I wish I knew what to do to change their policies
here in Houston.

Sigh.  How depressing.  Any suggestions?
Thanks!
                                   --->Kelly
 |\__\           /__/|          Head of Animal Optometry
 |  o o         o o  |          "Damn you, Let the Rabbits wear glasses"
/    =p=    =q=    \          University of Houston
Reverend Maynard: "I'm not looking at you."  Edie: "Snore, squeak."
** "A man talking sense to himself is no madder than a man talking nonsense
not to himself." **
      (Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead)