From:
Nancy Herring <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2005 09:36:45 -0500
I always try to give my ferrets a blend of three foods--don't ask why--I
just do.  Two of the foods remain the same, but the third may change.  A
month or two ago, I bought a bag of 8 in 1 Plus Ultimate with 38% protein
and 19% fat.  Sounded good to me.

On Saturday, Sparky threw up, got into the jerky treats, and threw up
again.  I put him into a separate cage without food or water to settle
his stomach down so I could get some ferret lax into him that would stay
down.  Well, next thing you know, Cocoa is throwing up.  (Great way to
get both cages and your floor cleaned in the same day.)  I decided ferret
lax wasn't the answer and ran to the grocery for pedialyte and baby food.

Nobody has thrown up since Saturday.  They have been on pedialyte and a
mixture of the original two foods.  I haven't added the 8 in 1 Plus yet
because I was wondering if I was slowly poisoning them.  8 in 1 Plus
Ingredients are chicken, chicken meal, ground rice, chicken fat, chicken
digest, raisin juice, banana puree, fish oil, garlic oil, taurine, dried
whole egg, etc, etc.  It is a 4 lb. bag that is half empty so I've been
feeding it for a while.  (I keep two cups of each food upstairs and the
rest remains in the freezer until needed.)  It is only 33% of the food I
usually place before them each day, and raisin juice and garlic oil are
way down on the list, but are they zero tolerance foods?  Should I try
putting this food back in their cages in the mix or should I blend it in
with the cats' food instead?

Thanks,
Nancy