Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:58:05 -0400
My ferret was ill last week.  I didn't post on FML because I felt that by
the time I got results I would have put my boy at risk.  I did contact a
number of shelter operators and ferret owners to see if they had a list of
possible things that I could bring up to the vet...and they all said that I
was wise to get the vet appointment and gave me some suggestions and moral
support.

Here's the history...

It started last Wednesday.  There was vomit on the bedding and "cow
patties" of poop and sprays of feces on the walls of the litter box when I
went to do my daily cleaning.  Since I caught Shiloh pooping and it was
firm I knew my patient was Amadeus.  I promptly got out the anti-diarrheal
I keep on hand and gave him three doses over the space of the day.  When I
checked him the next morning there was a little more vomit and only
slightly firmer stools, so I called my vet as soon as he opened, I got an
appointment for Friday and put on a waiting list for any cancellation that
day (Thursday)..

The vet told me to continue the anti-diarrheal and encourage fluids and
told him I'd put electrolyte replacement in the water bottle, but it didn't
seem like even that perked him up. Amadeus only other symptom was lethargy.
When I got him out of his cage he stayed in my arms, if I put him down he
would circle the room once and either go back to his hammock or his
favorite desk drawer to sleep.

By the time of the appointment Amadeus was perkier, but still had "baby
poop" (you know, that yellow/tan stuff) that didn't hold its shape but was
no longer liquid enough to spray the walls of the litter pan..

As luck would have it, Amadeus hadn't defecated before the vet appointment,
so I went w/o a stool sample.  In desparation I put him down on the floor
of the examination room and let him sniff around.  He was very excited, and
finally found the perfect corner and gave us a very fresh sample.

The technician ran every test they could think of and came up empty.  A
blood panel came back merely indicating a mild case of dehydration.  No
x-ray was taken because my vet felt strongly that it was not a blockage and
he felt no indication of enlarged spleen or lumps while being palpated.

Because Amadeus has periodically had left vomit around since the day I got
him  as a resue, the vet gave metronidisol (flagl) and told me he'd call me
on Monday to explain the blood panel results fully. When I said the poops
were still a wierd color, but a normal shape and that Amadeus had vomited
once over night we escalated the treatment to include amoxy on the theory
that the problem might be Heliobacter.

When I spoke to the teenager next door she said her ferret had the same
symptoms the week before, but that the ferret got well w/o any treatment
what so ever!  (Not a chance I was wiling to take...)

Anyone else see these symptoms lately?  While my vet is ferret friendly (he
has his own ferret and latches onto my guys when I come in) he doesn't see
as many ferrets as I would like.  There are other ferret friendly vets in
town, but since Amadeus improved quickly I didn't go to any of them.

Amadeus is still on his meds, and will be on them for several days, but if
I hadn't seen what I did I never would have known he was sick.

Pat (relieved parent)
Tess (blase dog)
Shiloh (how come Amadeus didn't wanna' play last week?)
Amadeus (geeze, can't a guy get a little privacy here!? And will you stop
w/ that nasty flagl? I'll take all the amoxy in one dose if it would make
you happy...)