Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:23:11 -0700
Hey, for what it's worth . . . . wanted to share info. about a melatonin
product I'm using for my adrenal furkid, Sasha, who doesn't have the
Ferretonin implant (she had a left adrenalectomy in May, '04).  Her only
symptom I've ever seen is a swollen vulva; no fur loss.

When I noticed her vulva swelling for the first time this past March,
I began Sasha on Lupron on April 7th and within 3 weeks of the shot, I
noticed her vuvla swelling was quite large again.  So she got another
Lupron shot May 3rd.  I began thinking, "Wow, am I going to have to do
this shot every 3 weeks (at $40 a shot)?" YIKES!

Well, I wanted to see if oral melatonin, in conjunction to the Lupron,
would help this before I rushed to put an implant in her so I found a
product called "Mellow Tonin" (manufactured by Jarrow formulas), for only
$2.95 a bottle of 60 capsules.  Since I began Sasha on the melatonin
product after the second Lupron shot May 3rd, I've noticed that the
swelling hasn't come back AND Sasha hasn't had another Lupron shot since
that second one in May!  (I'm able to give this to Sasha every day
between 1-2pm since I go home at lunch to feed my other adrenal furkid
her soup anyway).

Each powdered capsule contains the following:

Melatonin - 3 mg
Vitamin B6 - 2 mg

I asked the vet about the additional vit B6 and she said it was fine for
ferrets and won't do any harm in that dosage amount.  In fact, the vet
said that vitamin B6 aids in fat and carbohydrate metabolism so it would
help more than hurt.  I only wish I could give it to my Phoebe, who
currently has a number of health issues, including adrenal disease,
insulinoma, and "eating" issues but she has a melatonin implant already
and that is probably what's making her so sleepy and I wouldn't want to
add to that with additional melatonin.  BUT I will probably begin adding
the capsules to her food once the implant has well worn off and see what
happens.

So, you can go to the manufacturer's website: www.jarrow.com.

UNFORTUNATELY, they don't sell directly to the consumer market so you'd
have to find a local source who carries the product, if it's worth it.
(I found the product at a local vitamin store by accident so I don't
have to order on-line and pay shipping).

Good luck!

Jennifer and the 3 Amigos  :-)