From:
Tammy Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 09:56:37 -0400
I spent a good part of yesterday afternoon procrastinating...I mean,
catching up on emails, including nearly two weeks worth of FML.  I came
across a message or two regarding heating pads and other ways to keep
ferrets warm.  A few years ago I ordered a microwaveable heatpad I saw
advertised in a cat magazine.  It comes with it's own Velcro-closure
quilted cover.  It's hard as a rock when cold, and not much softer when
heated, so probably not very comfortable to sleep on.  But, if you
microwave it for a few minutes, it produces warmth all night.  When Selena
was recovering from her recent adrenal/insulinoma/spleen surgery I wrapped
it in a big, thick towel and put it beneath one half of her hammock, which
was hung just a few inches above ground so she could step in without
pulling her stitches.  The hammock was in a pet carrier (door kept open in
case she needed out) and the heatpad kept it warm, but not hot, all night
for her.  She seemed to like the warmth, or maybe she just preferred the
hammock (over the variety of other sleep sacks and beds in her "recovery
room"), which just happened to be hanging over the heatpad?  Anyway,
without sounding too much like an infomercial (too late?), the product
brochure (yes, I still have it, I'm a pack-rat) says the filling is
"non-toxic" and "non-corrosive".  However, it is contained in a "tough,
permanently sealed vulcanized rubber pouch", so if your fuzzies like to
chew rubber (surely no ferret does that?) and are determined enough to chew
through the fabric cover (what, tenacious ferrets?  who ever heard of such
a thing?) despite your best supervision, it may not be a good option.
Selena didn't chew it, but she was recovering from a major surgery and not
quite herself, plus she hasn't chewed rubber since she was a baby and eat a
quarter-sized hole out of the shower mat (boy, that was scary - who knew
carnivores would like the taste of rubber).  For those who think they might
be interested, it's called SnuggleSafe, and the phone number for Brinsea
Products in FL is 407/267-7009.  At least, that's what my two year old
brochure says.