From:
pat andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 13:39:38 -0500
Every now and then I let a ferret or two have free roam in my apartment
if I know I will be able to keep tabs on them.  This gives them the idea
they've gotten away with something (great weasel wardancing!) and the
stimulus of seeing something new.  Last night it was Sonny and Sadie's
turn.  They seemed to be having a great time checking things out and as a
result kept Tess and I amused and on our toes.  When it came time to end
the play session I pulled out a squeak toy.  Sadie came immediately.  Sonny
did not.

I put Sadie in the cage and continued to walk around the apartment
squeaking away.

When I got to the bedroom I noticed Tess peering between the storage units
that make up the base of my bed, so I laid down on the floor and peered
in.  At first I couldn't see anything, but then I saw a tuft of white hair
hanging from the box springs.  When I reached for it...it moved just out
of reach.  This continued for awhile...long enough for me to realize that
since Sonny had just eaten his duck soup he might decide to settle in for
the night.

So, of course, I began dismantling the bed.  First, the pillows came off,
followed by the mattress.  As I slid the box springs aside in order to
carefully upending them imagine my surprise to see 6 or 7 dog toys, a
personal stereo, and a pig's ear between the storage units!

Chuckling, I gave Tess her toys and put the personal stereo on the shelving
unit that serves as my headboard, and then began examining the bottom of
the box springs...in which I discovered not one hole, but four or five!

Since Sonny was at the end resting on the floor I reached into the hole on
that end and discovered one of those stay fresh packs of crackers like
you see in boxes of Ritz and Club crackers.  It was open and there were
crackers everywhere!  I left Sonny amuse himself while I removed the
crackers and then caught him and gently lifted him out, giving him kisses
and cuddles before putting him to bed for the night.

It will be interesting to see how the FLO reacts to the changes I made to
cut them off from the space underneath the bed and limit their access to
the springs.  They had quite a party room down there, and I never knew it!
I had always assumed that my missing glasses would be there, but, no.

I'm looking at it positively...I finally got around to turning my springs
and mattess!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Pat
Tess (hey, if mom finds out I didn't miss those toys she may say I have
      too many! Cut that out!)
Shiloh (grumble, why is it that the new kids always rock the boat?)
Amadeus (hey, what's the matter? I can't hear what you're saying! [he's
         deaf[)
Ozzie (that's okay guys, we'll just move back to the closet.)
Sadie (if you would have responded to the squeaker like a good boy mom
       would still be in the dark!)
Sonny (it wasn't me! It was Tess and her @#!@! ways!)