From:
Glenn Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 13:48:42 -0700
Ferret people,
My response to the following message:

>From:    "Cam, Simon and Alpine McIntosh" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Marshall Products
>
>[Moderator's note: This one just squeezes through since it is at least in
>some way related to ferrets.  Other posts which were simply pro or con the
>use of animals is research were rejected per the FML guidelines...
>
>I don't like to see an animal suffer.  It is awful just to think about.  But
>how do you think they got the results for this wonderful new CDC Compendium?
>They had to prove that the rabies vaccine worked, and that could only be
>done by giving the vaccine to many ferrets and then infecting them with
>rabies.  I imagine there was a control group, who didn't receive the vaccine
>and were infected with rabies, too.  How do you think the research is being
>done on the ECE virus?  What do you think everyone was doing when ECE broke
>out and we didn't know how to treat it at first? ...
End of quoted text.

This is an out and out plug for animal "research".  Throwing "ferret" in the
message a couple of times doesn't make it anything else.

Any reply I might make to this would be immediately labeled "animal rights
propaganda" and would end up back in my mail box.

Seems rather weird, considering that this is a forum for animal LOVERS.

Glenn
Chuki...right on, pop pop........weird

[Moderator's note: Basically, yes -- if we're talking specifically about
ferret research, then it is related.  There have been posts about ferrets
used in crash tests for example.  Those were not pro animal research at all.

But NO -- I would not allow posts about *dogs* used in crash tests nor about
"America's hideous multi-billion dollar tax funded animal ... mutilation
business", which I believe was what you stated in the last AR post I
rejected.  In my opinion, the subject of such posts is not how ferrets are
involved, but how such research -- ferrets or not -- is evil.  And while
that may be a worthy topic, this is not the list for such discussions.  BIG]