From:
Dawn Gloeckler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 04:14:32 -0500
Ok, it's now 4AM and I've been pondering some things. I need a trusted,
lab researcher's input on this one - not opinions or guesses.

I have read that ferrets do NOT have a cecum - as opposed to cats and
dogs - which means they CANNOT extract items in the plant world. Is
this true? And IF this is true, does that include vitamins and
minerals? I KNOW it includes protein (which I have read from many
sources) from veg matter, but what about the other sources of vit's
min's? Does this include ALL plant matter sources of any food value?
I have also been told Sweet potato and 100% pumpkin will help with
diarrhea - which I have experienced - but what food value and is this
in direct conflict w/the plant matter that ferrets cannot digest and
will it hurt them?

Once again, if no one has noticed, I am new to the raw and/or pure meat
concept as I have not been able to get my ferts to eat meat in the over
18+ yrs I have been owned by them (not that I haven't tried!) - until I
was able to properly introduce them to it (which I discovered from the
FML)! So please don't give me links to the raw diet and other sources
that I have already explored. I am seeking true answers from ferret
researchers that may be on the FML for my questions to ferret anatomy
and any info pertaining to a fert's ability to be able to consume ANY
source of plant matter - ok, so this may not be a legit or possible
answer, but any help will be appreciated!

Dawn, Hamlet, Socrates, Romeo, Simon and Alexander