From:
Cindy Sooy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 1994 03:11:00 UTC
Dr. Williams,

My son received a phone call tonight from a man who had bought a
jill from us about a year and a half ago. He said he took her to the
vet on Fri. to get her a hormone shot to bring her out of heat. (She
had had this done before). Apparently she has the run of the house
and has several hiding areas that they are not aware of. They truned
her loose after returning home. She stayed hidden Sat. When they did
not see her on Sun. they tore the house apart til they found her.
She was dead. He wanted to know if it could have been a reaction to
the hormone shot. It would have helped if he knew when she died. I
don't plan on selling anymore ferrets to them. I don't think it was
really a case of neglect as it was of "killing her with kindness".
They didn't like to keep her caged. My son explained to them that it
was for the ferret's own good. Anyway, what I would like to know,
could a jill have a fatal reaction to hormone shots? I've been
breeding ferrets for about three years and haven't had any reactions
to the shots nor have I ever heard of anyone else having one. If
this is a possibility, how common are the reactions and would it be
the same as a reaction to vaccine? If so, I will have one of my hobs
vasectimized to use from now on. Thanks for any advice you can give
me.

Cindy Sooy