From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 22:29:11 -0400
>From:    Lisa M Tieber <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: eosinophilic gastroenteritis in ferrets
>Has anyone had experience treating eosinophilic gastroenteritis?  My
>little male, Yeti, suffers from this condition.  My vet suggested treating
>him with .5ml Prelone every other week.

The first question would have to be, is the diagnosis correct?  According
to "Ferrets, Rabbits and Rodents - Clinical Medicine and Surgery," this
is a rare disease.  All reported cases, and there are few, have been in
ferrets over 6 months of age.  The symptoms listed for this disease,
diarrhea, weight loss, vomiting, anorexia, dehydration, etc., sound like
the symptoms of a lot of other things.

If in fact this is what Yeti has, treatment consists of Prednisolone,
1.25-2.5 mg/kq, and Ivermectin, 0.4 mg/kg once Sub-q or orally, then repeat
again in two weeks.

Most of the above is from the previously mentioned book (my bible!) and I
make no claims as to any medical expertise.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
* A 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation
*
* Visit our shelter's web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Visit the Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/FHC