From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:59:54 -0500
The physiological mechanism involved in this technique to use less
vaccine looks pretty generic to me and ferrets have thick skins which
*might* make these shots easier than in humans (???).

*Might* this eventually (years away, I suspect) be a possible way to use
less vaccine per ferret, and if so then how much is the DEVELOPMENT of
new anaphylactic reactions to substances dependent on amount of substance
instead of just frequency of exposure?  Might it be a way to reduce to
reduce the rare instances of anaphylactic reactions without risking loss
of protection?

I know that more would need to be learned, of course.

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20041113/fob1.asp
 -----

I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but in the form letter PetSmart
is sending the executive seems to be under the mistaken opinion that
the kits will have the safety of having had rabies vax.  NOT SO!
IMRAB3 can NOT be give till a kit is 12 weeks of age.  Just something
to include in any replies you send.
 -----

Shelley wrote of primates:
>Another thing, they tend to fling poop.  At least the ferrets pile it
>neatly in the corner.  :-)

When I was first engaged to Steve he was able to meet one chimp, Kenton,
and one lemur, (Shoot, can't think of his name but it will come to me
after I his "send" -- Samuel Johnson's companion -- oh, Boswell) because
of their youth.  Maddie was way too large, strong, and assertive (for
those of you who have seen the shot of a young with the chimp bouncing on
my back that is her and she later joined the Yerkes program where she
proved to be their best cage tester (not a surprise since I have seen her
even at only 3 or 4 years old climb a rope and break through a ceiling
into a ventilation duct which she did not explore --whew).  The monkeys
were too dangerous.  Maynard (another chimp -- and chimps are apes, BTW)
was way, way too risky but I thought Steve might like to see him from a
distance as long as we kept our attachment secret given how possessive
Maynard was about me.  Well, Maynard realized IMMEDIATELY and scooped up
a pile of his feces.  Steve shut the door as Maynard let loose, and the
pile hit the reinforced window right at Steve's face height.  That is how
we learned that Maynard was a very accurate pitcher.  Sadly, the place
Maynard went a while after i left broke their contract and used Maynard
for a fatal study.  I still cry about that.  He and Maddie trusted me
first of all humans, and our bond was very special and strong.

If Shelley's suspicion of what primate this was is correct it is monkey
which is covered by CITES so having it in a pet store is highly, highly
questionable and I suspect likely illegal on a federal level given my
recollection of CITES restrictions.