From:
Sean Sawyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 19:07:39 -0500
Hopefully, I can help a little with these two postings.  However, let me
first say that if you disagree with me, please don't flame me (I have seen
some of the conversations on this list) and let me qualify my statements
with "I am not yet a vet, nor a ferret expert."

>From:    "Ferret Aid Society..." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Tumors in the spleen
>Akasha's spleen had 100's of tiny white balls in it.  My vet seems to think
>they are tumors.  I thought tumors were one big lump inside....
>The Ferret Aid Society

Neoplasia can occur as a single mass or in a multi-nodular form.  From what
I have read (no personal experience yet), the spleen is not often the site
of metastasis, except for lymphoid tumors in which case the spleen may look
similar to what you are describing.  Very likely, your vet is correct and a
more definative diagnosis can probably be obtained by sending the biopsy of
the spleen for histopathology.  If the diagnosis is lymphoma or another form
of cancer, you will have some choices to discuss with your vet concerning
Akasha's treatment.  I wish you and Akasha the best.

If you wanted to do some reading about treatment options, there is a
relatively new book (pretty straight-forward and informative) called:

"Ferrets, Rabbits, and Rodents: Clinical Medicine and Surgery" by Elizabeth
Hillyer, DVM and Katherine Quesenberry, DVM. Copyright 1997, published by
W.B. Saunders Company. ISBN 0-7216-4023-0.

>From:    Michelle Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ferrets with cold
>I have 3 sick ferrets.  Runny noses and the little one does this machine
>gun sneezing thing.  They are all eating and drinking good, but not as
>active as usual...

Again, I am not an expert on ferrets nor a vet (yet), but as long as your
ferrets don't have dermatitis/rash/brown crusts, this sounds like an
influenza virus.  Ferrets can become infected with several strains of human
flu virus which mainly cause upper respiratory disease.  Young ferrets are
especially susceptable and can exhibit severe signs.  If you are concerned
about their health, I recommend that you bring your ferrets to a ferret
knowledgable vet, who will probably give them a physical exam to make sure
they do not have a more serious disease and are not dehydrated, etc.  If it
is the flu, the vet may very well prescribe a pediatric cough suppressant
(w/out alcohol) and/or an antihistamine as treatment for the symptoms, but
she/he should help you figure out the dosage for your ferrets (starting with
their weights).  If it is the flu, it probably feels to them much like it
feels to you and me, so unless they are really sick (your baby?), you may be
able let the flu run its course (7-14 days).  I hope that your little guys
feel better soon.

-Sean

Sean Sawyer V'00
University of Pennsylvania