From:
Ben Roach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:52:59 -0700
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share my experience and knowledge of Petco.  There is a
Petco located a few block from where I live here in Seattle on Holman Road.
This is where I bought Madelyn, there is a small animals manager there who
is totally knowledgeable about ferrets and their care.  I've spent hours,
probably totalling days, there speaking to her and there are a few things
I found out about their employees that makes me comfortable.  One of those
is that they have to attend a class or some sort of schooling to run the
department they are in charge of.  I found this out because on one of my
trips there Janelle, I don't know if thats spelled right or not, were
talking and their reptile person had quit.  She got the added
responsibility of that department as well and shared with me the class
she had to attend on the care of the animals.  She shared with me her
knowledge, since I have a thing for reptiles as well.  According to her,
they all have to attend classes on the proper care of animals they are
responsible for.  Max was also bought at Petco, in Kirkland, where their
small animals person had recently quit.  But there were 4 other people in
charge of taking care of them.  Granted that store was new and lacked
proper resources, so these ferrets could have used a little more TLC, but
nothing bordered abusive.  I cant speak for every Petco, but I have only
had good dealings with the people and their knowledge of what they are
responsible for.

I do like reading about peoples active roles in educating pet stores that
are miss handling ferrets and please keep up the good work.  I was tempted
to complain my self about the Burien Pet center and instead, just bought
the remaining ferret.  However, I will be going back there to see if they
get a new batch of ferrets in and will give my helpful hints on their
condition if it doesn't meet with my own personal approval, not that I'm
anyone except a ferret owner.

One last note, is that the manager in the Petco on Holman road first had
the ferret in an aquarium, however, she knew that wasn't right and moved
them to much larger hexagon cage that is better for them.  The top of
screened and not glassed and it's well ventilated.

Ben
 & Jeff

Madelyn, Max, and Casey!

A New Meaning for Rainbow Bridge