From:
Tracy Tunnison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 12:27:37 -0400
This is absolutely NOT intended as a flame to anyone!  It is just to air my
concerns over quarantining new ferrets.  I have read and heard of many, many
people (not just on the FML) getting new ferrets and taking them home to
meet the rest of the family or in the case of a shelter to intermix with the
other shelter kids.

I run a shelter for the GLFA and I also breed and show so I am very
concerned with possible contagious diseases being introduced to my ferrets.
When I receive a new ferret, it is put in quarantine for 2 weeks.  After
this period they are introduced to only 1 or 2 other ferrets.  If these
ferrets don't break with anything, then and only then are they integrated
into my ferretry.  Please don't flame me about exposing only a couple of
ferrets at first, better to find out that way than to have 100+ ferrets come
down with something.  Not only is ECE and distemper a concern, but also
common things like the flu.  I have seen ferrets with "colds" suddenly
develop pneumonia and it is not fun.  They are in extreme distress and need
to be force fed and receive SQ fluids.

So please everyone, think twice before bringing home a new baby and plopping
him or her down with the rest of your ferrets. It could save you a lot of
heartache (not to mention vet bills). I know it can be hard not to, but it
is in the best interests of all your ferrets, including the new one.

That's just my .02, if you don't agree, so be it.

Tracy and the fuzzies