From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 1996 08:05:54 -0500
THE ADVICE DISPENSED BY MYSELF IN REFERENCE TO FML POSTINGS IS NOT MEANT TO
SUPPLANT THE ADVICE OF VETERINARIANS WHO ARE IN CHARGE OF THE PATIENT.  IF
THE PATIENT IS NOT CURRENTLY UNDER THE CARE OF A VETERINARIAN, THE CLIENT IS
RECOMMENDED TO TAKE THEIR FERRET TO ONE.

>From:    Andi & Todd Lockhart <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: foot lotion suggestion & penis/spleen question

I am wondering if the large spleen and the dragging of the belly on the
floor is causing the prepuce skin around the preputial opening to be
slightly swollen so it is smaller than usual?  I have not encountered small
prepuce openings in a ferret but only in a couple of dogs over the years and
surgery seemed to work.

>From:    "Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Injured back
>A local ferret owner has a ferret that injured his back.

Nerves from the spinal cord that work the back legs, tail, anus and to some
degree the urinary bladder all pass through those last few vertebrae near
the pelvis.  Damage to that area can lead to all the symptoms you see.
Although regeneration of nerves is extremely limited (depends on the type
and amount of microscopic damage), some function MAY return over time.  I
usuaully give owners a 30 -45 day time limit.  For the most part, the
amount of function you have at that time is the most amount of function you
will get.

Use of muscles might allow the body to compensate for nerve damage by
stimulating either the slightly damaged nerves or all for other nerves to
take up the slack.  Non-weight bearing activity allows for the body to use
its muscles without fatiguing the muscles and/or nerves.  Full range of
motion stimulated many nerves and muscles.  Hence 'swim therapy'.  One
suggestion is to fill a bathtub bottom with tepid water (do not forget the
ferret's tendency for heatstroke at temperatures over 90 dgrees F)to a level
about the ferret's chest.  Support the ferret's head to keep it from going
under the water and help it walk/swim around.  Start with small periods of
time (5 minutes) for 3-4 times per day.  Increase the time 5% each
succeeding day.  If the ferret seems to be overly tired, drop back 10% the
next time and start to increase slowly daily.

If this seems successful, please let me know.

>From:    Krista Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: gooey eyes
>One of our guys, Digger, has a condition called microopthalmia.  It is
>when the openings for the eyes don't develop properly and don't open enough
>for the eye to fully develop.

Microphthalmia is usually defined as a congenital or hereditary small eye
globe size.  It is usually not caused by the lids not developing normally.
Because the globe IS small, secondarily the lids do not develop normally.
Micropthalmia in pigs and dogs can be associated with detached retinas which
will cause blindness but this is not always thecause.  If the ferret sees
well, count your blessings.

Because of the abnormal anatomy of the eye, yes there is probably a tendency
to get conjunctivitis or epiphora (abnormal tearing).  Thething you need to
differentiate this from is an upper respiratory infection.  Your vet should
be able to determine this with a physical and the stethoscope.  Epiphora you
treat by cleaning the eye goop with warm water.  An infection you use
antibiotics.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH.