From:
siani evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 09:27:29 -0400
>From:    Michelle Henry <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Pet stores and young ferrets
>
>>From:    Nancy Brenny <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Pet stores and young ferrets
>
>I know I am including other animals in my reply and I hope no one minds.  I
>felt it was necessary as the poster I am replying to referred to ferrets
>*and* other animals.
>
>>Ferrets, like other animals are separated from their mother and siblings
>>at a young age.  One of the biggest reasons is because they will start
>>inbreeding if you don't separate them.
>
>Since when does a ferret start inbreeding at 6 or 7 weeks?  Heck, you'd
>have to be raising Hamsters and Mice to get inbreeding this young.  Even
>Guinea Pigs and Rabbits aren't sexually mature at this age!

actually guinea pigs are, well, they are at about 8 weeks, anyway.  they
start nice and young, too.  that's because they are born after a very long
gestation period (63 days) and are like month old rabbits when they are
born.

ferrets are not sexually mature until at least 3-4 months of age.  so, it
makes no sense at all to remove them from their parents at 5 weeks of age
to spay and neuter them.

that's just silly.  it's like saying that you have to get kittens neutered
at 6 weeks of age.

siani
--
\\||//