Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1993 21:38:11 -0500
     I am so glad to hear that Silk's fur is growing back. Bravo!
You asked for suggestions on some higher calorie foods that
might put some weight on Silk. The L.U.M.P.S. recipe that
was provided by Kate Pappas and is the recipe perfected
by Ed Lipinski (issue #672), sounds wonderful. I might even
sample alittle myself. Of course I would leave out the
egg shells (good source of calcium!) and very definitely
the ferret chow...but that would be my preference. You
would want to leave that in for Silk.
     Other ideas might be to feed Silk dry kitten chow if
you have him on adult chow. The kitten chow has more calories.
My ferrets love puffed wheat cereal without sugar or salt added.
I get the Malt-O-Meal brand in the plastic bags. This is vitamin
enriched and fun to eat. My first ferret Hun-Hun loved a thin
spread of smooth (not crunchy) salt-free, sugar-free peanut
butter on a plain rice cake. He would lick off the butter
then chew on the rice cake. I do not favor additional amount
of sugar and salt added to the ferrets diet, so that is why
I look for sugar and salt free items. Like in humans, excess
amounts of these substances cannot be good.
     There are also other low calorie foods that Silk would
probable like such as, baby food sweet potatoes, cooked
veggies such as broccoli, fruits such as bananas. My vet
use to tease me about what I fed Hun-Hun. She said the
next thing I would give him would be bean sprouts and tofu.
Well he did love peeled, de-seeded cucumber slices.  I remember
reading about raisins on the list. I believe it was Dr. Williams
(forgive me if I am incorrect), that stated that raisins are
fine if only a few are given each day. I agree with the rule
that too much of one thing is never a good idea. Unless it is
money or ferrets of course!
     I hope this helps you and Silk.

                                  From Judy, Weezul and Teebone